Generic human skeleton

Josh

Please review this skeleton and assess its suitability for rigging onto many different human models. The mesh itself is only there for visualization purposes. It includes some animations for normal human motion, and some for a zombie character, but the skeleton itself should be usable for a variety of characters. Please tell me if you have any concerns with this, as it will serve as the basis of all our animated characters.

base human_02.FBX.zip

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think the animations look nice and neat

Some points:

- It's hard to tell where the animations start and stop as there is a bit of a blend period between some of them. Also could this be wasted space taking up resources when imported? I usually do a straight snap to the next animation with no space in between.

- When I import the fbx into Modo, there are some weighting issues, but I think that could be a modo fbx import issue.

- frames 12-91 idle anim, get a slight LHS leg shudder when looping (going from frame 91 to 12 and providing I have the right frames here).

Can you provide the start and end frames of each animations and I can test more thoroughly?

All in all, I thought it was pretty good.

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

The animations themselves aren't really an issue. They'll be broken down into separate files. What I am concerned about right now is the proportions and the stance of the T-pose. The skinned mesh itself doesn't matter, just the bones matter.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If that's the case the bones, alignment and proportions seem great to me.

On a side note what I do these days (don't know if this is the way to go but it works for me) is not to have the arms raised in the T position rather have them more on a 45 deg angle so they are in a more natural position. This eliminates some stretching around the shoulder area I've found when you go to animate the character as you don't need to rotate it as much to get the arms to their initial stance. Like I said don't know if it's the way to go or not... probably not for what you are doing.

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

Still present unexistent texture 'Polygonmaker\Packages\Fantasy Horde - Zombies\Textures\high\zombie1.png' in file

I use 'FBX->AutodeskConverter->DAE->Blender' as import pipeline and model imported just fine.

I think foot bones should be little bit improved. Just add one more bone to make foot fingers movable like in 'Ball' part on image:

http://www.makehuman.org/sites/mhnew.jwp.se/files/images/21/au125-revfoot.png

I prefer the 45 degree angle setup as it's easier to preserve your artistic intentions. Most games I crack open with art I like use the 45 pose for the arms. It makes it easier to predict your character silhouette and it limits shoulder distortion.

Bethesda used the t-pose until skyrim where they switched to the 45 arm angle pose. Dishonored uses a 45 arm angle pose.

Whatever pose you use there will have to be weight paint tweaking. So, as an artist, I vote 45 degree arm pose.

Any chance we can get a blender or 3ds file of the rig?

• Upvote 1