Using Steam workshop to publish games

bansama

Is it possible to use the Steam workshop to publish games to be downloaded by those who don't own Leadwerks? None of my friends own Leadwerks yet I'd like them to be able to test builds of my game as they become ready. Can I use the Steam workshop for this?

Maybe a finished game that you want available to everyone else that has access to workshop, but things would start to get quite messy in the workshop if everyone started posting their test builds there. Use something like dropbox to share test builds with a select group of people.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Given that you can specify privacy settings, I see no problem with people sharing builds with friends via workshop. It's also better than dropbox as it doesn't require additional downloads. Besides that, the workshop is set up to make updating easy for all involved, Drop box and similar don't do that.

I will add that the FAQ Josh posted mentions Workshop being a good way to get games on Steam without having to go through Greenlight. So surely, people who don't own Leadwerks being able to download items published as "Games" would be good for all anyhow.

Hey Bansama,

I think you need Leadwerks to use the Workshop. So your friends would need Leadwerks to play your game. A link with the outline of workshops in general http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshopsubmitinfo/

There was some info on the forums about zipping and sharing your finished projects sometime ago. Might be worth checking out if you want an alternative to using the Workshop.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's a demo of Leadwerks on Steam now. Any chance that allows people to download workshop items tagged as games? It would be the perfect solution to being able to have non-Leadwerks owners beta test builds and push out updates without the need to sort out hosting of files.