Tech Demo?

Zancie

So, I've taken a break from studying game development, in the interests of my work, but I was wondering, how well would the Leadwerks engine handle a tech demo?

I don't mean any actual gameplay, just a video from 3-6 minutes long, showcasing the lighting and such of leadwerks.

Think of in-engine cinematics, The one I recall most fondly is samaritan tech demo for the unreal engine 3, from... 2010? I think?

Also, how possible is this? Is the leadwerks engine built solely for gameplay or can I create cinematics?

For me I think it would be a good idea, help me get a grasp on assets, lighting, camera work, etc.

but I was wondering, how well would the Leadwerks engine handle a tech demo?

Exactly how well as it handles FPS demo for example. What did you expect more ?

Think of in-engine cinematics, The one I recall most fondly is samaritan tech demo for the unreal engine 3, from... 2010? I think?

Also, how possible is this? Is the leadwerks engine built solely for gameplay or can I create cinematics?

You'll have to code the cinematic tool if you need one. Like many engine LE3 is for gameplay indeed, cinematic is not absolutely needed to make great indie games. You won't sell a cinematic to players they prefer gameplay :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304930/

Stop toying and make games

You'll have to code the cinematic tool if you need one. Like many engine LE3 is for gameplay indeed, cinematic is not absolutely needed to make great indie games. You won't sell a cinematic to players they prefer gameplay :

My game is going to be a mix of stuff ... FPS,RTS,RPG, flight sim... cinematics is involved still.. at least for the opening of the game and possibly the multiple endings..

The rest is dialog/conversation related ...those shouldnt require cinematics..

Probably not doing it in-engine ... I look towards blender or some other program for that...

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Fewww, are you serious mixing so much styles ?

Yep...no joke ...been working on it for a while...the whole project is on hold for a while while I do school for several programming languages..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

I was thinking of doing the Cinematic not for a game, but simply for doing it, I just want to make a little video.

Just as well, BES, best of luck to you, Mixing more than 2 genres can be dangerous, but if you execute correctly it'll be a hit.

I don't see any reason apart from lack of dedicated tools why LE could not be used for cinematic purposes. As mentioned in this topic, you would have to write a visual editor or something to handle all the camera/lights scripting part. Without specific tool set you would have to code your scenes in LUA/C++. My suggestion is (if you already own LE) to try it out first by putting waypoints (dummy entities) and interpolate your camera movements through a defined path. You would need a custom waypoint script to handle linking between multiple points (first waypoint, child, parent etc., naming, camera rotation speed etc.).

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)