Built in backup to online storage ability.

DerRidda

Seeing Josh's Greenlight concept for SteamBox I though there might be something more tailored to Leadwerks users.

The ability for Leadwerks to automatically backup projects to common cloud hosters/FTPs and similar services.

The basic idea: In the Project Manager you can mark projects for auto-backups which will be conducted when the selected project is closed for another one or the users wants to exit Leadwerks when using the selected project.

You can select the frequency of the backups (on every exit, maximum one per day, maximum one per week, etc.), the way in which the backup is conducted (always ask, don't ask), set up basic encryption or chose not to and (depending on the abilities of the selected online storage) decide how many copies to keep before deleting the oldest one.

Backing up yo shizzle is the one of the absolute most important thing in every productive and creative field that uses computers and digital information and cloud hosters especially are a very affordable and indie friendly way with APIs that have been implemented a hundred times over.

Google Drive offers 15GB of free storage, which is enough to have a decent number of backups for at least one serious project.

Why not use a Synology box with SVN or Git app that comes with it? (Any kind of version control would work)

Or just zip the project onto a large USB stick. I us both methods and it works great. Granted it does require manual work (often less than 1 min).

ALERT! ALERT! Version control is no backup!

You are never ever connected live to your backups, they wouldn't be backups in that case.

Backup means: Throw this version of the files you want to backup in a safe place and hopefully never touch them again because all goes well but be assured that nothing about them has changed and they are there if you happen to need them.

Also hardware you have in your house does not constitute a proper backup either, proper backups are off-site. If your stuff gets stolen, like in the case of the Project Zomboid devs, or there is a fire your project might be done for.

I'm talking about a built-in solution for off-site backups using readily and cheaply (basically free) cloud offerings.

Stupidly convenient, achievable by every rose-cheeked indie dev that just got started and reliable.

I use SVN for everything but I would still argue that no source control or syncing solution today is anywhere near usable. Everything out there is absolute user-hostile garbage. It all seems designed with such contempt for the end user. Somebody on this forum has been trying to send me a project via GIT for two weeks, and it just doesn't work.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I also use svn on my server and the server makes backups on another server.

Thinking about that i use bittorrent sync for my password manager

I think using that for synchronising and backup should work too.

And if you want someone to test your game you can give him just the readonly key so he can't mess with your project and is still always up to date. (Yes i really like btsync :) )