Default files being overridden

Brutile

Just opened my project after updating the files to find that the default scripts for the player that I had edited had been overridden. As I don't have any backups, I'm not a happy chappy. >sad.png

Just a note to everyone... Don't name your files after or edit the default ones.

Edit: I think my App.lua even got overridden :@

The MyGame project is updated automatically. If you create your own project, it will only be updated when you do it manually in the project manager.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

But I still want updates for things like shaders and util scripts.

I guess for now, I'll just create new projects and copy new files manually.

It just seems to me that at its current state, Leadwerks is made for making tutorials and showing off the engine,

rather than being a useful tool for game creators. I like using Leadwerks, but sometimes you just think 'why bother'.

Well what you're saying is you want things to be updated automatically, but you don't. It's not a technical problem, it's a problem of defining what behavior we even want.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

My suggestion is that you start with a blank canvas with only the essentials, like the app.lua script that you absolutely need to build the project. Then default assets can be loaded similarly to the workshop files, in a separate folder. I think that would solve the problem. Or maybe a file->import assets option where you can select what files and folders you want to import/update

The project template pretty much is a blank canvas.

One thing we COULD do that would be nice is take stuff like the dev grid textures and put that into a Workshop package. When needed, it would get automatically downloaded and loaded. The same could actually be done with the standard shaders and scripts. That would be pretty nice, actually. Maybe in the future everything will be in a Workshop package in the cloud.

"The project template pretty much is a blank canvas."

Not really. There are lots of things that don't need to be there:

-Concrete material

-Blood splatter

-Glass

-Terrain materials

-Barrels

-Crates

-Primitives

-Weapons

-Prefabs

-Sounds

Things like shaders and math functions are always handy, but there is a lot that doesn't need to be there.

I think everyone is asking for the option to include/not include template files in a new project and also in updates. That would make everyone happy, no?

Totally agree.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)