Tutorial poll

AggrorJorn

I am getting a lot of feedback from people. Some useful and some that make me annoyed to some extend. (Why do your tutorial not teach how to place blocks. YOUR F*CKING VIDEOS SUCK)

Anyway, some of the useful feedback was about the content changes I should consider for recording. Please leave a vote in the poll. If you want specifics or have good suggestions, please leave a comment.

Thank you

• Upvote 6

(Why do your tutorial not teach how to place blocks. YOUR F*CKING VIDEOS SUCK)

hehe - jeebus... people that post things like that are the ones that expect the MakeGame(gametype, multiplayer option) command to exist.

I think a lot of the new people are having issues with figuring out how to bring assets into LE3 - which I will point out is 100 times easier than it was in LE2. The problem is there are so many different ways to obtain assets and each workflow will have its own caveats. Maybe a handful of written tuts that show how to bring a model or animated character from several sources - ie Blender, UU3D, 3DSMAX, C4D. Granted this might require several people with these software apps to be involved to help create these tuts.

• Upvote 1

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I am currently struggling with setting up a good (C++) GameObject structure so that it is fast and scalable. What I so far have is a GameObject that handles the game object, controller input, basic AI and animation but it is messy.

All I have found so far are:

1. Class Hooks
  2. How to Structure a Game
  3. Object-Oriented Game Design

Looking through them I found out that I need to handle collision detection inside the game object (1.link) instead of a for(...) in game loop. And that I probably should use a static Enemy::UpdateEach() (2/3. link) instead of for(...) in game loop. I am not sure if this better in terms of performance but it is a new technique I haven't thought of.

If someone could make a tutorial on this subject that would be nice.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of unappreciative jerks who think tutorial means "Make my game for me". I have really enjoyed your Project Saturn series. Being new to Leadwerks myself, it's been a great series to help me apply my existing knowledge to the Leadwerks workflow, I'd love to see the series continue.

I would also enjoy learning how to use C++ and Lua together.

• Upvote 1

I would also enjoy learning how to use C++ and Lua together.

Yes that would be great. How should one implement GameScripts like "if player has red-skeleton-key and BigBoss is defeated --> open up a new path for next level". Something like that perhaps.

I am getting a lot of feedback from people. Some useful and some that make me annoyed to some extend. (Why do your tutorial not teach how to place blocks. YOUR F*CKING VIDEOS SUCK)

People need to be more appreciative! You're generously spending your own time to help others by making these tutorials! On top of that, they are excellent (or at least the ones I've seen). Thank you for the tutorials you've make and continue to make and for setting up this poll!

Looks like more tutorials along the line of Project Saturn are the most popular.

Some ideas for this:

- change weapons

- sprint bar

- hi score table

Thanks for suggestions:

• Changing weapons is already covered by rick.
  • The sprint bar is almost identical to the healthbar.
  • Can you give some details as to how you would like to see a high score table? I you want a local highscore, the project can't be uploaded to the workshop since you can't write and read files due to sandboxing. An online highscore results is a little bit more work but a basic one is doable.

As for the results so far:

I am happy that people are still interested in Project Saturn. That said I am also surprised how many votes the C++ has received already.

Hi Jorn,

your contribution to this comunity is outstanding. Therefore ignore those emails.

You'll always find those naysayer's... even if you get an nobleprice for your tutorials wink.png

cu

Oliver

Windows Vista 64 / Win7 64 | 12GB DDR3 1600 | I7 965 | 2 * 280GTX sli | 2 * 300GB Raptor | 2 * 1.5TB

Thanks for suggestions:

• Changing weapons is already covered by rick.
  • The sprint bar is almost identical to the healthbar.
  • Can you give some details as to how you would like to see a high score table? I you want a local highscore, the project can't be uploaded to the workshop since you can't write and read files due to sandboxing. An online highscore results is a little bit more work but a basic one is doable.

As for the results so far:

I am happy that people are still interested in Project Saturn. That said I am also surprised how many votes the C++ has received already.

Thanks Aggror,

I missed Ricks tutorial on weapon changing. I have a look for that.

Fine with sprint bar.

For hi-score table I was thinking of something basic ( I'm a simple guy after all). Just something for your own game. I assume you would use a table to keep the scores but I'm not sure how you would compare a new score and insert it into the table.

I went back to Ricks thread on gameplay ideas and here are some other ideas.

- ladders

- inventory

- jet pack

- double jump

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...