OpenGL 4 compatible graphics card - really needed

Tommek

Hi Guys,

I have a strange behaviour on one of my systems.

I bought the steam version so I can use Leadwerks on any system.

I've got one PC that has Linux installed it uses a NVIDIA GT 240, here Leadwerks runs smooth so far, but it shouldn't as I see it. The Card only supports OpenGL 3.3

On my Laptop I have a Intel HD 4000 (build into the CPU), the Linux driver only supports OpenGL 3.2 and Leadwerks won't start. I also have an installation of Windows 8.1 on an external drive (wintousb), here Leadwerks starts (because the windows driver supports OpenGL 4.0 but I have different Problems -> http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/10594-win-81-exception-access-violation-on-loading-tutorial-maps/

To get near this Problem I have plugged my USB-Win 8.1 in my Linux PC (GT 240), the driver also supports OpenGL 3.3 but Leadwerks won't start.

tl;dr;

Leadwerks runs on Linux machine with OpenGL 3.3 and on windows not.

Why?

I don't know the latest status on this, but: Josh was planning to do an OpenGL 3.3 fallback on Linux (not on Windows) due to lacking driver support for OpenGL4+ on some systems.

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/9229-installing-leadwerks-for-linux/page__hl__fallback

So you're GT240 might fall back to 3.3 under Linux (but not under Windows), while the 3.2 driver isn't supported.

I got a Gigabyte Steam Machine and Intel's Linux drivers don't support GL4 even though the hardware does. So I allowed it to run on Linux with OpenGL 3 even though it isn't supported.

This may have totally unpredictable effects, since I don't know what GL4 features the driver has implemented. For example if you try to load a tessellation shader it will crash. Or maybe it won't.

So OpenGL 4 still is the official system requirement, and it might or might not work below that on some systems, and behavior could change at any time.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.