Hostile - a sci-fi horror game created by Rimfrost Software - WIP

ChrisV

Hey guys!

We at Rimfrost Software (Roland and myself) finally decided to share our idea and plans for a game that will get developed with LE.

The game we're going to build is a first person sci-fi horror shooter with stealth/survival elements.

This project is in a very early stage, but we will update this thread as we progress, and keep you guys informed as much as possible.

The story:

The year is 2371...

After several decades of intense research and experiments, scientists have finally found and developed an ion based engine, using a fusion and laser technique, that makes it possible to go faster than the speed of light. Plans for missions to land and investigate on Earth like planets take shape, and hypermodern spaceships are being created on a large scale.

You are Jones Bonez, a 27 years adventureous guy who signed up for one of these missions.

'Eclipse' is the name of the spaceship that will take you to planet Ergon, an Earth -like globe. There you will land, investigate and explore, taking samples and return to the home base here on Earth.

As usual, things don't work out the way they supposed to...

You have troubles getting asleep, so you took a couple of sleeping pills.

While you're in dreamland flirting with an imaginary beauty, a shuttle (with the Captain on board) was launched to land upon Ergos, but an unknown force disables the board systems of Eclipse.

When you wake up...you find yourself alone...except for the dead bodies of your fellow crew mates...but wait...it seems you're not alone at all...it seems there are some other beings on the ship...creepy creatures...bloodtirsty things...hostile beings!

Hostile_LOGO_zpse77e3090.png

The Gameplay:

- First person shoot and survival/stealth mode. Blast your way through the enemy lines, combined with stealth to preserve (limited) ammo.

- Solve basic puzzles (handles, switches, timer based puzzles, etc...).

Your weapon arsenal:

- Coming soon - rolleyes.gif

We appreciate comments and suggestions, so don't hesitate! Thank you!

• Upvote 10

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

@Chris :

What about your other project ?

SCOT_IndieDB_005.png

SCOT_IndieDB_007.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/seventh-crystal-of-theia

It is abandonned or delayed ? as it looked promising also and i perfer open world with exploration.

Another curious question : Why choosing LE3 when for example Unity proposes animation states manager, new GUI and many great plugins like ultimate FPS, Lux shaders ? Easy side of LE3 or BSP ?

Anyway good luck on your new project, i think it will be one of thes best looking one in LE3 smile.png

• Upvote 2

Stop toying and make games

Thanks for the interest and comments, guys! smile.png!

We'll do our very best to make this game as great as possible!

Oh if you need any material/shader help, im hanging around here smile.png

That's good to know, shad! We already have a couple of missions for you, if you're interested. tongue.png

Could you provide us with a godray shader that doesn't use the day/night system? We'd like to have lightrays coming through the windows of the spaceship from one of the nearby suns. Can you help us with that? smile.png?

Secondly, i noticed that the bloom shaders (both the one in Shaders/Posteffects, and the one from the Post Process Shaders pack) are kinda heavy on framerate impact. Is there a way to make 'em less demanding on fps? Or, could you provide one that is less performance demanding (would be good for the community also wink.png). Thanks, dude!

It is abandonned or delayed ? as it looked promising also and i perfer open world with exploration.

Another curious question : Why choosing LE3 when for example Unity proposes animation states manager, new GUI and many great plugins like ultimate FPS, Lux shaders ? Easy side of LE3 or BSP ?

Anyway good luck on your new project, i think it will be one of thes best looking one in LE3

Nono, it's not delayed or abandonned. We're still working on SCOT. It would be stupid to give up on that now. wink.png

As for choosing LE for this project, well...both Roland and me have been using it for quite some time, and we still love LE very much. Besides some missing features in current version, it has a great rendering and the lighting is really nice. Also, we're keeping this game small and simple (at least to begin with).

Furthermore, we want to proove that LE3 is capable of great games, and by developing this game we want to help Josh make his engine better by attacking him with unexpected issues/problems that might occur during development. So Josh...prepare yourself. wink.pngbiggrin.png

• Upvote 1

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Could you provide us with a godray shader that doesn't use the day/night system? We'd like to have lightrays coming through the windows of the spaceship from one of the nearby suns. Can you help us with that? smile.png?

You can do that yourself, only the sunvector is sent from daynight, just set the sun's normalized directional vector, like this anywhere you like, cpp/lua:

self.camera:SetKeyValue("godray_pos",Vec3(-x,-y,-z):ToString())

camera->SetKeyValue("godray_pos", std::string(Vec3(-x, -y, -z)));

Secondly, i noticed that the bloom shaders (both the one in Shaders/Posteffects, and the one from the Post Process Shaders pack) are kinda heavy on framerate impact. Is there a way to make 'em less demanding on fps? Or, could you provide one that is less performance demanding (would be good for the community also wink.png). Thanks, dude!

But my bloom is already 3 times faster than the one that comes with LE. smile.png

Not sure what else there would be to do.

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Nono, it's not delayed or abandonned. We're still working on SCOT. It would be stupid to give up on that now

Good news the project continues as it seemed very promising in last changes.

It seems you switched on Crytals game from third person to FPS view, why that change ?

Lot more simple to manage player and less work on the animation side ? Need for some more immersive game view ?

Secondly, i noticed that the bloom shaders (both the one in Shaders/Posteffects, and the one from the Post Process Shaders pack) are kinda heavy on framerate impact.

Adding graphic layer like post effects will grab some fps on any engine , LE3 core engine beeing not enought fast it's even more noticeable. Well let's dream of performance will come some day.

we want to help Josh make his engine better by attacking him with unexpected issues/problems that might occur during development. So Josh...prepare yourself.

I hope you do the project for pleasure first , let's wait for the first screenshot then smile.png

Wishing you and Roland the best of luck. SCOT has always looked really cool and you look like a great team. Looking forward to seeing some first screenshots.

Much appreciated, Aggror! smile.png

I'm working on some modular pieces for the spaceship interior. This should provide an easy way to rapidly build a huge variety of rooms and halls for the player to walk in.

We both have more experience and better tools to work with now, so we're going to make this game as high quality as possible. The gameplay basics will be kept simple at first to have something playable, and later we'll add more advanced stuff. wink.png

Good news the project continues as it seemed very promising in last changes.

It seems you switched on Crytals game from third person to FPS view, why that change ?

Lot more simple to manage player and less work on the animation side ? Need for some more immersive game view ?

Thanks!

Yeps, we changed to a first person view to speed up a bit of the development time. Third person requires more animations (for the main character), and we're just a small team working on a big project. Also, interaction with the gameworld in third requires a bit more work to setup. First person view also has it charm, and we now actually have a pretty darn good character controller that can handle many things.

Adding graphic layer like post effects will grab some fps on any engine , LE3 core engine beeing not enought fast it's even more noticeable. Well let's dream of performance will come some day.

I'm pretty sure Josh can make LE3 perform better. Last physics update already helps. smile.png

I hope you do the project for pleasure first , let's wait for the first screenshot then smile.png

Yups, no worries. We never make a game that doesn't give us the pleasure and satisfaction of creating it. smile.png

• Upvote 1

Cool!

Thank you!

Done some WIP experimentation (textures, lighting, fx, modular pieces) for Hostile. Thanks to shad for customizing his godray shader for our game project! smile.png

Here's a modular room piece, custom skybox, and some props (WIP). Soon i'll work on some creepy aliens to populate the spaceship and hunt the player down. biggrin.png

HostileWIP_001_zpsc1941e5b.png

• Upvote 5

A bit more fidling around with textures, models and lighting. Roland is working on a GUI system and options menu. smile.png

Creating textures that work good together to start with is essential and can speed up the development quite a bit. Good thing that i already have a variety of different textures. Also, substance designer is very well suited for this!

Next i'll start working on some interaction (sliding doors, etc...), and start on the first alien creep in zbrush. Really looking forward to create a creepy scary alien monster. biggrin.png

HostileWIP_002_zps332622d5.png

• Upvote 3

WIP of the first Alien Creep i've started on in zbrush. What do you guys think? smile.png?

Still need to give him some long sharp teeth before starting on the retopology.

Furthermore, i've added some interaction on the door. Was rather easy to setup. Also thanks to Aggror's great tutorials. smile.png

Hostile_AlienCreep01_zps19f7c0f7.png

• Upvote 5

Good model , the hands and feets seems too small compared to general shape, why not bigger and longer hands, something less human like ?

some ideas if you make more than one alien :

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/media_gallery_image/public/avengersAlienJumboSketch7B_web.jpeg?itok=WR3cRyKW

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/208/f/6/alien_concept_i_by_why_lee-d58sxc4.jpg

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/media_gallery_image/public/avengersAlienJumboSketch7_Web.jpeg?itok=qb1gvkzs

About retopo to work fast in 3D Coat : slicing on strokes

• Upvote 2

I have Zbrush but I never really got into it to make stuff ...I guess I am old school and prefer normal modeling methods... I can see the benefit though of using Zbrush.

Nice work on the alien and the game so far!

• Upvote 1

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Pics removed, sorry but this is not my portfolio thread or my game thread.

Keep going Chris , show us some great alien wink.png

Just noticed you've edited your post. The great alien will come...sooooon. I've made some changes (less human handswink.png) and other improvements, and a friend of mine said that he looks badass. smile.png

Working on the texturing now, and once that's done, i'll upload new pics.

Also, thanks to our shader wizard shad, we can now have some pretty cool fx, ranging from vortexes, to suns, gasclouds, impact fx, digital screens, liquids, or pretty much any effect you can think of, all animated! It uses spritesheets, but can by applied on any model (non-skinned, i think) as a material. Thanks again, shad!! smile.png

Furthermore, Roland has made a complete GUI system (checkboxes, textfields, sliders, buttons, etc...) that will be very usefull! Well done, Roland! smile.png

I've made some music, footstep sounds, and also worked on a 'muzzleflash' effect for a Tazergun.

So, next time we'll show some of the new things (maybe a vid) and give more information on the progress. wink.png

• Upvote 4

Just noticed you've edited your post

Yep, i'll make a totally new thread, as the alien will be finally a free LE3 contribution.

I'll have to find time to rig it and animate it , it's coming slowly but surely :)

Also, thanks to our shader wizard shad, we can now have some pretty cool fx, ranging from vortexes, to suns, gasclouds, impact fx, digital screens, liquids, or pretty much any effect you can think of, all animated! It uses spritesheets, but can by applied on any model (non-skinned, i think) as a material. Thanks again, shad!!

I hope that LE3 engine will extend it's library of shader effects also ( actually it's pretty empty ).

Working on the texturing now, and once that's done, i'll upload new pics.

Sounds it will be great smile.png

• Upvote 1

Here's a small vid showing the WIP of our game Hostile. smile.png

• Upvote 5

I enjoyed the gameplay and the graphics but found the dialog irritating after a short time.

Good effort though.

Irritating in what way? I tried to add a funny touch to it, but maybe i shouldn't have? smile.png?

Thanks for the comments, though.

Looking good! The enemy aliens look great I can't wait to see them animated.

Yeah, he definatly needs some animations and A.I., the poor guy. I almost felt sorry for shooting him. rolleyes.gifwink.png

Thanks, Hayden!