I'm new here, and I've some questions :D

Sabino98

Hi all,

I'new here and I'm interested in using Leadwerks Standard Edition, it costs only 92,99 €. I'm a student and I think this price is very good for me. I want to know more about this engine. I've already read that it's light, portable and you can create games not only for Windows., but also for Mac and Linux.

•The first thing I want to ask is about the compiler. Will Leadwerks compile my project or do I need a compiler? I usually use MinGW, but I've also a student license for Visual Studio.

•If I buy the Standard edition, I'll use C++. Can I always use Lua? I've downloaded the source code of a game, called Minetest, to study it, it's written in C++ but a lot of the code contains Lua by using the syntax:

extern "C"

{

#include <lua.h>

//lua code

}

Can I use this syntax to use both C++ and Lua?

•Question about Lua performance. Lua is a language that can be embedded in C++. What about speed? Will lua in my games make it slow?

•Can I #include extern libraries? For example, I want to save and load my game, and I need a serialization library. Can I include it in my project?

•Can I use Leadwerks for commercial games? Can I sell my games on my own website and what percentage have I to pay?

•Is my PC suitable for the installation of Leadwerks?

OS Windows 7 64 bit

RAM 4 gb

Processor Pentium Dual Core 2.5 ghz

Graphic card Sapphire Radeon X1550 series.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your answers :D

A lot of these questions have already been answered in the forums, just FYI. But welcome to the forums! biggrin.png

I think you are a bit confused about the Standard vs. Indie version, based on some of your questions. You NEED the indie version to use the Standard version.

1. YOU need to compile it if you use C++.

2. You can always use Lua, either in conjunction with C++ or as in the indie edition. But you don't have to use it.

3. Lua performance shouldn't be a problem unless you are performing heavy math operations (such as large terrain or physics stuff) outside of the Leadwerks API.

4. You can #include other libraries.

5. Yes, you can use it for commercial games. There are no royalties, so the percentage you have to pay is 0%. biggrin.png

6. Download the demo off Steam first. That is really the only way to tell 100% whether your setup will work. Although, judging by your graphics card, you may need a new one as Leadwerks only supports OpenGL 4.0 and above, yours uses OpenGL 2.0.