Point Light

TattieBoJangle

Hi guys anyone having problems with lighting i have added 8 point lights and it is bogging down my system and making it impossible to use.

Its ok if i am away from the lights or looking away it also does it if i place them on a blank map.

Asus Extreme v x99, Intel I7, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, SSD, Geforce GTX 980 4GB, 16GB Ripjaw DDR4

In most cases, 8 point lights on a discrete card will be no problem. Intel graphics might struggle a bit.

Performance will be a function of:

• What graphics card you have.
  • How many lights are being updated.

There is some info here on advanced light setup. You can greatly reduce the shadow polycount with these techniques:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/entity/entitysetshadowmode-r826

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

System specs as i feel my system should run this no problem also i get this on a blank map with no objects so no shadows.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3820 CPU

Video Card AMD Radeon R9 200 Series Total Memory 4.0GB

Memory 32 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit

Asus Extreme v x99, Intel I7, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, SSD, Geforce GTX 980 4GB, 16GB Ripjaw DDR4

The rendering speed with a single directional light is going to be about the same whether the scene is empty or not. With deferred rendering you get a different performance curve. Deferred rendering incurs a cost immediately, but it scales much better as the scene gets more complex.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Hi Josh,

I've been struggling with point lights too with my Mages game built in release. In my opening scene there are two point lights visible in the room and shadows on high my fps is barely scraping 30fps on my desktop and on my macbook pro which is around a year old it's less.

As soon as I've moved out of range and visibility of the lights the fps shoots back up again. Also if I pan back around to the direction of the lights I get the chock factor too.

My video card is getting a little dated but still decent, going by other games I've played it should be able to handle it no worries.

I would be willing to let you take a look at my Mages project to see if there is anything you can find however I don't want the project public.

Cheers

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0