Explosions?

Josh

Yes, i have. I've created dozens of cool particle FX, using animated spritesheets (fire, explosions, weather FX, impact FX, liquids, and much more...).

I'll create a few and send them to you. ;-)

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

This would definitely be handy to have in the Steam workshop and also publicly available. Like skyboxes, explosions large and small are used in almost every game. Bonus points if you can change the color for other looks and effects (like acid blasts, spells, etc.)

Yep, i totally agree. Maybe i should spend a couple of weeks creating some art for LE, instead of working on our projects. biggrin.png

Nah...the projects must also continue, but i'll do a bit of both...art creation for LE, and working on the projects. smile.png

• Upvote 5

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Make it a nade launcher instead for now :-)

and ChrisV dont forget the shockwaves on the explosions..lol...thanks for offering to make some FX.

• Upvote 1

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

I don't know if the grenade will actually work. The animation includes the grenade being thrown, which makes it not very useful right now...

You perfer it explode without being thrown? Outch

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I don't know if the grenade will actually work. The animation includes the grenade being thrown, which makes it not very useful right now...

I'm a bit confused, so how is the grenade supposed to work? You press the shoot key, your character does a throw animation and then it creates an entity for the grenade that's been thrown that eventually explodes or..?

Yep, i totally agree. Maybe i should spend a couple of weeks creating some art for LE, instead of working on our projects. biggrin.png

Nah...the projects must also continue, but i'll do a bit of both...art creation for LE, and working on the projects. smile.png

Great to see people helping out within the community, looking forward to seeing some of your work. smile.png

• Upvote 1

I get the impression what he means is the grenade model itself is thrown out into the world from the hand from the animation. That means it goes the same place every time. Normally at the point of where the grenade leaves the hand you'd want the grenade to disappear so that you can place your own grenade model so you can throw it in code to any distance you need independent of the animation.

• Upvote 2

For what its worth theres a 4 second delay before grenades go off. I know cos I have thrown them during military service.

Hey, that's a pretty useful feature. biggrin.png

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Made four different explosion spritesheets yesterday. Going to test them out now in LE and see if they need any adjustments and/or additionnal particle emitter(s) to enhance the effect. smile.png

I'll also create some impact fx for bullets on different materials (glass, metal, wood, etc...). Will be fun to do. tongue.png

Bonus points if you can change the color for other looks and effects (like acid blasts, spells, etc.)

I guess the most advanced way would be through a shader. Or, you could change the diffuse colour on the material to get other results.

• Upvote 1

You can playback a 6x6 spritesheet using a pure shader with uvmap, like this :

//control
   float images=6; //6x6 spritesheet
   float speed=10000;

float X=floor(images*(mod(currenttime/speed,1)));
   float Y=ceil(images*(mod(currenttime/(speed*images),1)));
   outcolor *= texture(texture0,vec2(ex_texcoords0.x/images+X/images,ex_texcoords0.y/images+Y/images));

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

While working on some explosion particle fx for LE, it seems that there's an issue with saving animated spritesheets as a prefab.

I can make a prefab out of a spritesheet, and when i place that prefab in the scene, it animates in the editor, but when i run the game, there's no animation, and i see the entire spritesheet displayed, instead of each single frame animated.

I guess it has to do with the way LE handles/plays the emitter when using a spritesheet. I experienced the same when i was making effects for our game Hostile. Normal emitters (that don't use a spritesheet) get instanced in code and displayed using the 'Show()' command, but for spritesheets, you need to add the 'SetAnimationRows()' and 'SetAnimationColumns()' for them to animate.

So, atm i can not make prefabs out of the fx. sad.png

My idea was to mix animated spritesheets and emitters to create these explosion fx. For example, i want to add a horizontal blastwave effect using an emitter (no spritesheet), and also sparks or other cool effects, but adding an animated spritesheet to a prefab breaks the animation in game mode.

I'll report this as a 'bug', though. smile.png