Issues with Calculating Normals

beo6

i am not 100% sure if this is a bug.

I imported a model including the textures.

When i open the model in the editor it is completely black. So far nothing unusual.

Now when i open the calculate normals menu and use the "Average Normal" Method and press Apply nothing happens.

post-60-0-68650800-1413927818_thumb.jpg

When i choose the "Angular Threshhold" Method and press "Apply" at least that then helps displaying the textures.

post-60-0-42155900-1413927825_thumb.jpg

And it looks good.

However as soon as i then press "OK" to close the screen some corners of the model seem to get destroyed.

post-60-0-30029700-1413927833_thumb.jpg

When i press "Cancel" instead the model stays good and everything is fine.

post-60-0-50043400-1413928067_thumb.jpg

Am i doing anything wrong there?

Thanks.

thanks gamecreator. But i hope since he now knows that i have sent him a PM he is able to look at it.

Or he would need to tell me to which e-mail address i am supposed to send it to. But then i would also need to upload the file again (the upload to the PM took ages for me because of my slow internet...) and then there is often a limit of file attachments on e-mails etc.

Can't be that hard to look at the last PM hopefully. ;)

Well, it's like someone wants a response on something. So I read the PM, then I forget it, or maybe I remember it and fix the issue, and then I try to reply but don't know where I read it. That;s why the bug reports forum is better. But I do have your model now.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I cannot produce the third image in your original post.

The problem here is this model contains vertex colors that are all black. When you use the angular threshold method, it reconstructs the mesh and dumps the vertex colors.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Hello,

i just checked again. I guess it was my stupidity.

pressing "Apply" once uses the method. But pressing "OK" after that does the same again which produces that issue.

So you can forget the third image.

remains the issue about the black model. Is there a way to not reconstruct the whole mesh and still being able to apply the texture?

Hello,

i just checked again. I guess it was my stupidity.

pressing "Apply" once uses the method. But pressing "OK" after that does the same again which produces that issue.

So you can forget the third image.

Even so, that should not happen and is a bug.

remains the issue about the black model. Is there a way to not reconstruct the whole mesh and still being able to apply the texture?

The model is black because it contains vertex colors that are all black. It should technically resave the vertex colors, but it's just something that rarely gets used. Can you re-export the model without vertex colors?

It would be nice to have a display of what components the surfaces each include, with the ability to delete them if wanted.