Editor crashes after being left idle for a while

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone is having the same issue I'm having....

I'm using the steam version with C++ on Win 7.

If I leave the editor open overnight, wake my computer. If the editor is open and in focus it will display properly. if I click anywhere on the window it crashes.

I have tried x 2 projects (My main one C++ which has loads of content and a secondary one Lua which is pretty bare bones) the crash it happens to them both.

Is there any one else experiencing this? Can someone else leave the editor on with a world loaded overnight and to see what happens?

In my level It has terrain, some bsb, the fps script and a few textures.

Cheers!

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

Can someone else leave the editor on with a world loaded overnight and to see what happens?

If I leave the editor open overnight, wake my computer. If the editor is open and in focus it will display properly. if I click anywhere on the window it crashes.

@tjheldna :

Even if you not shut down computer at least close all software, that's a sure memory and process cleaning.

It's more green for the environment if you shut down your computer when not using it (what i ever done personnaly)

Stop toying and make games

• 6 months later...

I've found that if I leave Leadwerks open while my computer is idle for a while, then when I come back and try to run with F6, I get this error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I'm not sure exactly how long it takes, maybe an hour or two? Long enough that my monitor turns off, if that helps. It's pretty consistent, i.e. if I've been gone for many hours, then it happens without fail.

I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I would like to confirm that this just happened to me. Ran the standard [beta] version editor from steam and it was left idle all night. clicked on one of the asset folders in my asset tree and the above dialog box that tiny boss mentioned appeared and leadwerks shut down. Windows updates were installed 1-2 days ago so my computer was recently restarted and no new updates have been downloaded since then looking at my steam downloads.

EDIT:

system specs:

Win 8.1 x64

32 GB RAM

intel Core i7-3770 CPU 3.50 GHz

bool Life()
{
 while(death=false)
 {
   if(death==true)
   return death;
 }
}

I have found the secret to infinite life

Did I help you out? Like my post!

I believe you but this is very hard to test.

I'm adding some code that handles system suspend / resume. I don't really know if it will do anything, but it will keep the program in a suspended state while your computer is sleeping.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

There is now an update available on the beta branch that may help with this. However, if the driver is losing the OpenGL context or anything like that it's out of my control.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It won't make any difference. The code I added did not do what I thought.

Do other 3D programs like 3ds max or stuff like that do the same, especially any OpenGL programs?

Turned sleep mode on and left LE editor open over night there was no crash when I checked this morning. So problem seems to occur if sleep mode is turned off and I guess it makes sense it could possibly be a leak as it's constantly running.

So Josh maybe try changing "put computer to sleep" to "never" and try it out over night. I'll bet my system is well below your specs so maybe it takes longer on yours. 4 - 5 hours of inactivity is a rough guess of how long it takes for me.

What kind of tests can I do for the memory?

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

If you just hit ctrl+alt+del and open the task manager you can see its approximate memory usage. Although I really doubt it would accumulate memory by just sitting there doing nothing.

Is real-time rendering enabled? Not that it should matter.

Do you have post-effect applied in the scene? If the script is leaking memory and real-time rendering was enabled, that could cause it. Also, a script effect can cause the appearance of a memory leak because it will wait until a certain amount of garbage is ready to be collected, and then clean it up all at once.

My memory fluctuates a bit but it comes to a stable point and flattens out.

My bloom post-effect constantly re-creates the bloom buffer due to a coding error on my part. :(

This should not cause a memory leak or any other problem other than slow performance. However, it would not surprise me if this caused problems with some drivers. The fix is up now.

There is no post process and is a newly created project a few weeks ago in lua. Real time rendering is not enabled (just checked).

I did a bit of testing with a new world with the monitor side by side. The working set was static in a freshly loaded editor and an empty world. Started to add various objects to the world, all fine. Added a 1024 x 1024 terrain, that's when the working set starts climbing. It also appears when the terrain is deleted the working set value continues to climb.

I found and fixed a memory leak that only occurs in the Windows build of the editor. It's up on the beta branch now. I think this will make things much more stable. It was an error in some third party code that did some Windows calls.

• Upvote 1