Developing on Arch issue

Greb

Does anyone else use Leadwerks in Arch? I get the error "Failed to initialize graphics. Please ensure your graphics hardware is compatible and install new graphics drivers" when I try to open the engine. I have all the drivers I know of installed as I can play cs:go, tf2, and trine 2 with no issues. Has anyone found a way around this?

Using Steam version on Arch (admittedly not fully up to date, Kernel 3.16.4-1-ARCH) Intel i7 CPU, nVidia GTS 450 GPU w/ driver version 343.22, no issues here.

Sounds like maybe another issue. Have you tried starting Leadwerks through terminal to see if that gives you a more specific reason for the error? Maybe your GPU is too old to support the OpenGL version, or maybe you have a library issue for some reason.

I am using an ATI Radeon HD7970. I'll try to use the terminal to load the program. I have issues with Steam as well as I have to load steam via the terminal but the other games I have installed have never had an issue, only this software. Thanks for the tips.

Your GPU does support OpenGL 4.2, so enough for Leadwerks but I bet you are running the open source drivers which do not support OpenGL 4.0 yet on any card. Find an AUR that provides fglrx, which is AMD's official proprietary graphics driver and use that.

I'll give that a shot. Everyone had recommended not using catalyst and instead using the open-source graphics. I'll make sure to instally fglrx and see if that works. Thanks.

Do you guys use the official catalyst drivers because they are not officially supported anymore and it seems like a pain. I searched the AUR for the fglrx but I am not sure what one to choose.

If you want the best performance - use the latest binary drivers directly from the chip vendor (AMD/NVIDIA).

If instead you value your sanity use the packaged version for your distribution, that said Arch does not support the binary drivers any more ; "Catalyst packages are no longer offered in the official repositories"

Unless there is some specific reason your running Arch I would take this time to consider a different distro - there are plenty :)

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I was using it as a way of learning more about how to work linux. I didn't like performance on Ubuntu or Mint. At least Ubuntu with Unity wasn't acting as well as I wanted it too. I don't have to use Arch, I just have been working on other things on it. I'll generally just use leadwerks on Windows anyway as my laptop has only windows at this point and I am on the road a decent amount.

Guppy, I personally use Arch because it used systemd (Ubuntu using upstart seemed a little slow to boot up) and the user repository makes it *much* easier to get software that isn't in (or updated in!) the official repos (adding repositories in Ubuntu is a MAJOR mess) and generally I want to be using updated software (VLC and WINE were usually my issues) rather than what it was updated to when the distro was released. That being said, I use nVidia so it's not an issue.

Greb, I'm not sure of your setup, but if your situation is like mine (My computer is a pre-built, came with an ATI card, and I had driver problems on Windows) then maybe you should consider buying an nVidia graphics card (please disregard if you specifically bought an AMD graphics card). The sad fact really is that AMD has the WORST driver support out of all of the manufacturers when it comes to Linux. When it comes to gaming on Linux, AMD fans are gonna have a bad time. (one example is Borderlands 2 and BL:tpS released on Linux, states AMD cards are not and may not function properly)

Intel has the best open source drivers, and nVidia has the best proprietary drivers. Overall, nVidia gives the best experience for graphically intense operations. If you do, maybe you could just get something from the 400+ series in GTS or GTX and spend $100-$200 or less. These are a bit old but still support the newest version of OpenGL, you might even find a really nice deal for a used one.

Yea, I've had a lot of issues with ATI when using Arch or linux in General. I actually have a script I have to run in the terminal to even get steam to boot in a way that allows me to launch games. I have been considering purchasing an Nvidia card but my ati one works for everything fine in my windows setup, I just was more testing development in Linux so I wanted to use it. I'll look in to finding a cheap nvidia card or maybe i'll just dual boot on my laptop.