Zbrush 4R7 is out

YouGroove

Yes , you can now do hard surface modeling in Zbrush directly, and it's a free upgrade for all registered users smile.png

http://pixologic.com/

That's really great as making hard surface stuff in Zbrush is not always easy or intuitive and can become complicated.

Now you can just use standard modeling features like cut, bevel , extrude etc ..

Video of a truck modeling

People not at ease with modelers should be able to create great models easily now.

A cool thing it has 64 bits support, so there should see less memory crashes.

cki_veng1.jpg

cki_veng2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

Better then you, i baught 4.0 pre order when it was 3.5 , so i never had to pay more since 3.5 . Pixologic are cool with updates as you only pay major ones.

I just tested the new brush Zmodeler :

test.jpg

You have to press space when your cursor is on top of geometry to choose what you want to do and what to select : loop, face ...

It's better to activate polygroups to see polygons when working with that brush

Also if you export some obj of your model , you'll have to remove all double vertices, as depending on what you do with the new brush it can produce double vertices.

That's great as you can model real hard surface models, or make some base models shapes that you will sulpt, all that without needing to switch to a modeling application.

It's as cool as sketchup, but selecting rings, loops is not as intuitive and fast as Blender, like many things, i work faster in Blender.

Until they bring more easy to select loops and edges loop, ring selection etc .. and some shortcut keys to work faster, i'll stay with Blender for intensive modeling.

And that version brings really more like Nanomesh , instances , Zremesher 2 and more.

Does it work on Linux? Also, if your wary of of spending nearly 800 dollars on software, look at blender. It offers many features Zbrush does not and also offers the same sculpting capabilities! (Oh and it works on Linux natively) ;P

Ubuntu 14.04 (64-Bit) - Intel Core i7-2700K - Geforce GTX 670 - 8GB RAM

No Blender can't compare with Zbrush in the sculpting area, Zbrush can go to vey hight density and stay fluid on a laptop also, while Blender is just very slow for high density almost unusable.

Zbrush has many advanced features for scultping Blender don't have because Blender is nt a full scultping suite , it has only basic features, Some tools of Zbrush :

- Geometry control and modification

- Remeshing features

- polygroups and panels work

- Subtools extract and management

- Many specific stroke feature also lazy mouse

- Decimation master

- Subtool master

- Zspheres etc ...

For painting some advanced features like cavity detection for painting or masking and many others.

It really values it's price, that is not super exagerated for a tool used by majority of industry or movie 3D artists using sculpting.

The price tag of 800 dollars is just a major turn off, and depending on what your sculpting, blender can do the job. There's no reason to turn people away from free alternatives. Blender obviously isn't a full sculpting suite, however it competes quite well in my opinion. Having used both I just don't see the justification of price unless you absolutely need some of those features you listed above.

I'll go more in depth later when I have time.

Upon further research, Most of these features are present in blender out of the box or with some plugins.

Blender density can get pretty high depending on your graphics card and if you tweak blender view port for a bit more performance (not that hard). I use blender on my laptop like this and it works great. Also a lot of the things people make don't always need to be sculpted at crazy resolutions. The picture you posted for instance can be done quite easily without ever sculpting a thing. I suppose you could sculpt damage and super fine details like engraving and such, however that wouldn't be extremely taxing on the GPU. My laptop granted has a lesser generic deticated gpu, but I mean this thing can't play half-life 2 on high or even medium, however it can do pretty impressive stuff on blender. My personal prefrence is to use my desktop for most things I model as its much more comfortable to do so, but I can totally see how going outside to model and sculpt a tree would be extremely useful and even relaxing lol. I thought zspheres would be out of the question since its sort of a zbrush trademark tool, but I guess recent updates and plugins have very similar tools. I don't know, I've used both, I just don't see the need to spend that much for a program that basically has a free alternative, if you just take some alternate methods. It's just nice to consider your options. Though I will admit zbrushes workflow is much easier to learn and start with if your unfarmiliar with CAD-like tools.

An example of a tool similar to zspheres in the beginning, resolution might be a bit less then zbrush, but realistically most of the sculpting is possible with the same results.

I know lot of things can be done in another way on Blender but not all , and Zbrush have many specific things not present in Blender that makes you win lot more time.

Each time you swicth from sculpt to edit mode in Blender it's just slow has hell , and you need edit mode to do other things.

Also Slice tool, polygroups, panels and many others do't have equivalent on Blender or would be hard and long to achieve same result at final.

Blender lacks the ability to draw/extrude/any sculpt along curves lines you draw on top of your model for example.

I like a lot open source software, it's great to see Blender moving in the good direction, but it will need lot more sculpting tools and features out of the box to work faster , and it will need lot better performance.

Anyway if you don't go too hight on sculpting or divide your model in several parts sculpting separatly, Blender can do a good job.

Sometimes software really worth it's value, it's the case for 3D coat and Zbrush , Zbrush beeing the best and fast for high density work. While Maya relly not worth it's money , when Blender has same features and many more better tools, it's my opinion also.

I made a test

Export from Zbrush a medium density mesh that is 152 Mo to Obj format.

Import in Blender 2.73 :

import.jpg

-It takes one minute to load the model while it's a second on Zbrush

- Once imported: rotating , move, sacling the view is just to slow like 3 frames per second

(Zbrush has the ability to lower detaisl a lot when you rotate the view for example to keep it smooth)

-In Blender with Object Mode, next trying to select the imported model, Blender completly freeze, after 2 minutes i click on it some times , but it remains frozen and crashes.

This is something showing Blender is optimized in a specific way to work with mid/high density polygon, or import high poly volumes. And it's not Blender purpose to be a strong sculpt tool competing with other non free sculpting software.

• Upvote 1

I made a test

Export from Zbrush a medium density mesh that is 152 Mo to Obj format.

Import in Blender 2.73 :

import.jpg

-It takes one minute to load the model while it's a second on Zbrush

- Once imported: rotating , move, sacling the view is just to slow like 3 frames per second

(Zbrush has the ability to lower detaisl a lot when you rotate the view for example to keep it smooth)

-In Blender with Object Mode, next trying to select the imported model, Blender completly freeze, after 2 minutes i click on it some times , but it remains frozen and crashes.

This is something showing Blender is optimized in a specific way to work with mid/high density polygon, or import high poly volumes. And it's not Blender purpose to be a strong sculpt tool competing with other non free sculpting software.

Did you do these steps?

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?257323-What-everybody-needs-to-know-about-Blender-Viewport-performance

But yea, I hear you, It's all about preference biggrin.png

Oh and obviously Windows is gonna hurt performance.... Jk ;P

Your steps don't change anything, the model don't have textures, i have a Radeon and i turned VBO on.

It seems you never used Zbrush and you never have tried high density sculpting in Blender, perhaps you never sculpted high density characters ?

Another test with Modo indie :

- loading time is better : 20 seconds

- Rotating/moving/zooming view in object mode FLUID

- sculpting is ultra slow but it works where Blender just crashes

modo.jpg

Once again Blender is good for sculpting , btu bad at sculpting high resolutions : take a look at screen above it's high res and i can go farther in Zbrush without slow down. Zbrush has specific display system that speeds up everything.

Blender can't handle that , is is too long loading times, slow view and impossible to sculpt as it crashes.

Try arguing on Zbrush forums about Blender coudl be as good , and you'll find same anwser as mine.

It's same as arguing Blender can make games and trying to compare it with what Crysis engine can do rolleyes.gif

I like a lot Blender for hard surface modeling, 3D tiles, rigging and animating, i like it lot more than Modo, but when it comes to sculpting high res, it's where i use 3D coat or Zbrush. If i didn't had 3D coat or Zbrush, sure i would sculpt in Blender keeping acceptable resolutions for it to work smooth.

And stop highjack the news : it's Zbrush 4R7 cool.png

Unless you can use the programs native format in the other programs importing a ludicrous sized mesh is hardly an indication of prowess.

Definitely a solid Zbrush release regardless.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

The steps where not only for textured objects, They were for viewport performance boosts.

I have already stated I have used both.

Realistically... Will you even need that much extra density in your mesh? Are you really getting THAT much more detail? In the picture posted, I think its clearly over kill. Alas, it's debatable to say the least.

Regardless, Have fun with your 800 dollar software and being a grumpy pants. ;P

P.S. you should apply to be a zbrush sale rep.

P.P.S before you respond yes, I'll do the same and apply to be a blender rep lol

As a general rule I am opposed to free software and do not like the pushiness of its proponents. I feel it is a "Kamikaze" business model opposed to free markets, similar to when Walmart sells products below cost to destroy the local shops and monopolize the market.

Why everyone can't see this obvious truth is beyond me.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

#slightlyconcerned

Opposed to free software? And your using linux if not mistaken? Am I misreading or misunderstanding? Sure there will always be a need for "professional" and "well-supported" softwares and toolsets, but they of course are usually always not a necessity. Walmart has a good business strategy many are also following, modern times bring new adjustments for those that want to keep up.

Before I go too crazy here, I'm going to wait for a response... lol

Regardless, Have fun with your 800 dollar software and being a grumpy pants. ;P

It was 600$ when i baught and the biggest money i put on 3D software, and there is some people puttint lot more if you take a look at Unity Pro and expensive upgrades wink.png , since 2009 i didn't had to pay any upgrades also from 3.5 to 4R7 with major new features that came between these versions.

If you divide price per year 600/6 = 100$ : t's finally even cheaper than some modeling software or 3D engines using monthly subscriptions.

It's a tool you will keep forever if you are someone using or needing sculpting, a prooven industry tool used by majority of 3D artists for characters making.

On 2D and 3D creation tools, Blender, Gimp2, Krita , inkscape are very valuable open source , used by indie people that make and sell games without needing to invest no money in software. That's the strenght of Open Source.

On the other side Open Source can't challenge with Software or 2D/3D engine with thousand people teams working full weeks all year on them.

For example Orgre 3D and many others are great Open Source 3D engine, while lacking complete editors , tools and sometimes lacking a complete game framework, compared with non free engines, you will have to code yourself the editor and tools, and i'm not sure someone could reach level of Crysis editor and rendering using Ogre3D sleep.png

You must find the good balence between usefull open source software, and if you have the money choose what software or 3D engine worths that you put your money in them.

• Upvote 2