Wate plane + Sky box

Olby

I created a simple terrain and enabled the default skybox. If .mat file is used then the water plane will not reflect it properly.

With sky.tex

post-4357-0-75053400-1422703773_thumb.jpg

With sky.mat

post-4357-0-47945500-1422703780_thumb.jpg

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Nope, its still messed up. Less obvious now, but there is a thick black line around the edges of water plane. Tried playing with various video settings - no difference. The snaps taken below are at max video config. Camera is not moved between the shots, note how the water plane (when skybox is set to .mat) is clipped for some reason.

post-4357-0-53892500-1422867377_thumb.jpg

post-4357-0-34480900-1422867382_thumb.jpg

post-4357-0-96910500-1422868917.gif

It's actually working as intended. Let me explain why:

When a texture is used a simple cubemap lookup is performed.

The sky material, on the other hand, is intended for placing blocks of sky that only appear in parts of the scene. This uses a derivative of the regular model shader.

The shader uses a clipping plane to discard pixels that are below the surface of the water when a reflection is rendered. Without this, you will actually have underwater objects rendered in the water reflection, and it will look wrong.

Tiny floating point imprecision is responsible for the dark line on the horizon. This is unavoidable.

The solution is to use the sky texture, and only use the material if you are placing blocks of sky in the scene.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 7 months later...

I just stumbled upon this issue once again. I think it would help to restrict editor's Skybox file browser to .tex files only. I added a note to the API doc's entry on SetSkybox command.