Talking Performance: Low FPS due to being CPU bound

DerRidda

So, playing the demo of A Demon's Game I noticed that I can barely hit 30 fps on my GTX 970. That's because it is pegging a single CPU core to its maximum which means my GPU is only being <15% utilized.

That's on an AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz per core not the fastest but it should be enough.

That's probably related to Lua being single threaded but that's crazy low, Natural Selection 2 (on Linux) is pretty much the same, Lua + OpenGL (a crappy implementation at that), but that manages 50-60+ (can't tell exactly because of forced VSync) for me completely maxed out and is a visually very demanding.

So I would like to see what performance other people are seeing on what hardware and what OS and let's use A Demon's Game as a "benchmark", just the first large open room will do.

The performance problem was traced to what is probably a bug in Nvidia's latest driver:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/813945/general-graphics-programming/bug-report-non-active-fbo-causes-much-slower-rendering/

It does not occur in the previous driver.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

So, playing the demo of A Demon's Game I noticed that I can barely hit 30 fps on my GTX 970. That's because it is pegging a single CPU core to its maximum which means my GPU is only being <15% utilized.

That's on an AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz per core not the fastest but it should be enough.

That's probably related to Lua being single threaded but that's crazy low, Natural Selection 2 (on Linux) is pretty much the same, Lua + OpenGL (a crappy implementation at that), but that manages 50-60+ (can't tell exactly because of forced VSync) for me completely maxed out and is a visually very demanding.

So I would like to see what performance other people are seeing on what hardware and what OS and let's use A Demon's Game as a "benchmark", just the first large open room will do.

I've talked with Josh about this, because I had the same issue, and guess what? I also have a GTX 970, I was getting like ~25 frames on every map I made.

The only way Josh and I found to make the frames a bit better is to me to make every light Static+Dynamic, which the game has already. Recently I had a friend play the game with a GTX670 and he had 60 fps constantly, then I made him play the same map with buffered lights, also 60 fps. Nvidia is clearly at fault here.

I'm getting low performance like 8 fps also on my laptop , the map is really simple with one dir light and 5 spot lights, and FPSPlayer script , with a simple AI one doing only raycasting.

lowfps.jpg

Does anyone uses many near sptolights in their game or only point lights ?

I think it's bad practice ti have many spotlights , specially in same room also.

Stop toying and make games

Without seeing that map I can't really say what's going on there. I run maps with dozens of lights onscreen at once with hardly any performance penalty.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Without seeing that map I can't really say what's going on there. I run maps with dozens of lights onscreen at once with hardly any performance penalty.

In the desktop PC i have a solid 30-60 Fps gameplay with 15 spotlights and using more models and shaders.

So it was laptop related problem perhaps i think. i'll get the map and tets on desktop computer.

Stop toying and make games