Best way to run animations without affecting my game mechanics?

dennis

Heya,

How can I make some sort of cinematic (ingame just by using animations) without affecting my game mechanics?

I have something in mind but it doesnt't really come to life.

i think I do need to run the cinematic (by creating a standard camera) and after completion of the sequence my player gets spawned or something.

How does the industry standard apply or do you guys have a good idea for me to bring this alive?

I'd like to here from you all, chreers!!

I've just made a cinematic sequence library that helps with this. Adding more functionality but the idea is that you have a lua function that executes top down but can yield out to the main LE loop. So you make a sequence of steps for your cinematic. For in game you would find the already existing entities and then call functions to make them do things. You'd most likely disable user input at the start and enable it back again at the end of the sequence.

I'm thinking of making a video tutorial and posting what I have to the workshop on Friday.

I've just made a cinematic sequence library that helps with this. Adding more functionality but the idea is that you have a lua function that executes top down but can yield out to the main LE loop. So you make a sequence of steps for your cinematic. For in game you would find the already existing entities and then call functions to make them do things. You'd most likely disable user input at the start and enable it back again at the end of the sequence.

I'm thinking of making a video tutorial and posting what I have to the workshop on Friday.

sounds cool! you made me start thinking on this. I could make a new set of models get loaded, and let them do stuff then set them free or something