Ideas needed for a Game template.

josk

I dont know how far I will be going with my game template for a top down game (read more in my blog) but I wondered what you think people would like to see added and find useful.

At the moment I have added player settings i.e speed and camera, an animation manager, waypoint manager with basic ai.

I plan to add more ai, shooting and more melee. player functions including pickups, health, score. a basic configurable gui. though I will tie in FlowGUI for most.

I also plan spawning for enimies and some sort of mission script.

The aim is a set of scripts, maybe prefabs that some one can use to get their own game running. A game framework.

It can become a big project and maybe beyond what I can do though its giving me a break from my other project and I will be a better coder at the end of it.

Any thoughts ideas appreciated.

Elite Cobra Squad

just know that not everyone might have the FlowGUI and you can´t publish it with your template since it is licensed.

I dont really want to get into making a gui so I was thinking a simple one for the template and then for my own game I would just use Flow. I need to think on this one. Thanks.

Bonus points if the scrips are independent enough to transfer to other types of games like FPS (which it sounds like they might be)

I will try, its a big project for me but I'm going to see what I can do.

Elite Cobra Squad

Some ideas for mobs:

- AI attacking from distance firing some missile or fireball , able to move or teleport between when hit by the player

- AI launching grenade like in a zone or to the player

- traps, dangerous areas( poison or radioactive areas inflicting damage when you are in

- weapons with poison/radioactive damage through time for a duration (melee, arrow)

- AI moving randomly between some points or inside some area zone instead of patroling

- AI dealing big damage shooting from distance or in melee, but turning slowly so the player have chances to avoid damage

- fast AI running like dogs , light but fast attacks

- AI running to the player and exploding when near the player

- Flying AI ?

For player :

- strafe and fast rolling move

-Grenade

-Missile Homing

- place traps using a weapon or some inventory item or a power : trap zone of poison that last some seconds, spikes etc ...

- Impulse laser weapon : short firing time and big reload but heavy damage

Quests :

- follow and protect from point to another point

- destroy all poison facility in some ennemy base

- retrieve some item from some location

- protect a base during some amount of time with ennemies spawning and around and attacking the base

About the GUI, i would not include it, simply because LE3 don't have any official one and to keep your template very generic and usable for everyone without having to remove some GUI code and avoid GUI errors.

Some way to manage your inventory could be simple vertical side tranparent rectangle and display real 3D object items on top of it, using keys to scroll up and down inventory and using basic text buttons to view, use, drop or sell your items.

Invent%255B1%255D.png

I would let down dialog ta this can become complex and it is even more dependent on GUI.

For quest just have NPC display text and display "Y", "N" for accept or not the quest.

I would keep it simple as possible and focus on portable gameplay and scripts instead.

Good luck smile.png

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

• 2 weeks later...
- AI moving randomly between some points or inside some area zone instead of patroling

The ai now how a random checkpoint check box, if set to true the ai will choose a random waypoint rather than follow a set route. Just watched it and it seemed ok, the ai even went full circle at one point, back and forth between two and other random combinations.

Will start a worklog.

Elite Cobra Squad