Google Hangout this Saturday

Josh

It's time for another Google hangout!

When: Saturday, April 18th, 1:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time.

Where: A link to the Google+ hangout will be posted in this thread.

Why: Discuss upcoming launch of Leadwerks Game Player and new opportunities for developers.

Be there or be cuboidal.

• Upvote 7

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Off the top of my head:

- Leadwerks Game Player is now called Leadwerks Game Launcher.

- There will be something "special" in June. Not only the 10,000 players playing LE3 Games with the launcher, but something else... (Josh is keeping a secret.)

- The Workshop will soon support items that can be monetized.

- If the game launcher does well, you'll (maybe) be able to publish, and monetize your games through the launcher.

• Upvote 3

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

-I felt that "game player" had a vague negative connotation after seeing those horrible Flash-based things.

-I expect the app's install base to reach about 100,000 this summer.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

- If the game launcher does well, you'll (maybe) be able to publish, and monetize your games through the launcher.

I don't think players will like the idea to have another launcher layer on top of steam to play some games. It complicates things.

Players will expect to buy some indie game on Steam directly and have the game on the Steam list and launch the game fom Steam.

If the plan is to make some another Desura games market places, but only for LE3, as it will be only few games i don't htink it's a good idea.

Juts my two cents.

Stop toying and make games

I'm not worried about monetizing it at this point. This is aimed at all the Steam users who would like to try new unfinished games but don't want to go poking around Desura. I don't think a mini-store within Steam would be a good approach.

The way indie development is done right now is like a band that only focuses on recording a finished album and never plays live shows to build up a fan base. Imagine a band sitting around waiting for their killer song to materialize, and being unwilling to show anything until their entire first album is written, recorded, and totally finished. Would it be surprising if that album never comes to exist?

• Upvote 5

The way indie development is done right now is like a band that only focuses on recording a finished album and never plays live shows to build up a fan base. Imagine a band sitting around waiting for their killer song to materialize, and being unwilling to show anything until their entire first album is written, recorded, and totally finished. Would it be surprising if that album never comes to exist?

This right here is truth I think. Gotta get the game looked at by the crowd that likes raw things to iron stuff out. By the time we're hearing hit songs on the radio they have redone and refined it to be that way by playing live and getting feedback.

Main songs only come out when perfect in production, for sale to the public.

It's like agmes, many people avoid Eraly Access because of unfinished product and some times when it's not a studio producing the game ,you don't get a lot better product at final or it takes ages to develop.

Showing your game too early is showing potential big problems and bugs, not best graphics, not good sound , not so good gameplay.

It can just make flee people from your game quickly also.

That's why small studios make blogs instead of too early prorotype demos.

For monetizing 3D assets , it's ok , because it's like Unity Asset Store, but monetizing games it will just won't work.

Did you see Unity or Esenthel monetizing complete games in their stores ?

• Upvote 1

Did you see Unity or Esenthel monetizing complete games in their stores ?

You have a tendency to dismiss anything unique Leadwerks does, while continually asking me to copy other products.

See Roblox and GameMaker:Studio for examples of this idea implemented successfully.

• Upvote 1

You have a tendency to dismiss anything unique Leadwerks does, while continually asking me to copy other products.

LE3 is going on it's own roadmap, im' not asking anything, the web player is just some sort of Unity Web Player with more possibilities.

It was personnal opinions on two points , this has nothing to do with LE3 or 3D engines sleep.png

- I was more talking as a player about another layer on top of steam for buying games : i manage all my games on Steam or have them in DVD, i don't like to have more multiple accounts lik Desura, GOG or others. So this is my personnal opinion only as player not as 3D engine user.

- I was talking about strategy , the best time to show your game.

Making games and exposing them too early is not perhaps the best strategy, could you make some game in LE3 or Unreal 4, if it plays **** and don't look good, you have more chances to not have people come back another time.

While a polished demo will keep players come back to news about your game because they enjoyed the demo.

This has nothing to do with 3D engines, it's more about your personnal strategy about when proposing a demo : in early stages or later.

You can make some Desura site or anything else,i don't claim or ask anything, but i can give a personnal opinion, and perhaps the Player is the next big thing for LE3 and im' totally wrong.

Don't take my personnal point of view too serioulsy rolleyes.gif , it's just another different point of view among billions people point of view.

(This is why i must stay out of Hangouts laugh.png )

• Upvote 1

I think the thing you are missing YouGroove is that these sub game players are in reality primarily for the people who use the engine in question to start with. This means you get more developers playing these games than non developers so they tend to forgive bugs and issues because they know what it's like. Yes, this will be open to everyone but I'd venture to say the majority of the users, to start with anyway, will be LE users themselves. People who think like you won't get this game player because they don't want to play buggy games. And that's fine.

The target audience is the same as Desura's, except that we are just tapping into Steam, which is a lot easier than trying to build our own community from scratch. For most users (anyone with a Steam account, which are the only people we care about anyways) the install / play process is dead simple: Click on the play button on our site, then they're playing the game a few seconds later. The installation process is totally silent except for the Steam confirmation dialog that says "Allow this application to run?".

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/game?fileid=425860291

• Upvote 1

Is there any status or rough estimate or is this feature being scrapped for now?

It's not being scrapped, nothing there has changed.

There's a Steam link on the page I am playing with. It's good for sending to other people. Still experimenting with this.

• Upvote 1