gaming specs

drarem

I would say AT LEAST as much as the engine. It really depends on how demanding your game is (what shader effects, polycounts, etc.).

Ideally, you would want to have tested the game on the entry level machine for your game. I know I can't typically play the types of games I make on the lower end of the spectrum without a very low framerate, for example. So I would use my specs as the baseline in that situation. But it all matters what you have in your game.

You will always have to find out detailed system requirements through testing.

But there are some pointers that are always the same:

While the editor is 32 bit on both platforms the engine is 32 bit only on Windows (which is bound to be limiting to somebody sooner rather than later) and 64 bit only on Linux.

OpenGL 4.0 compatible graphics hardware is a given and that should not require any additional info on Windows but on Linux you should mention that the open source drivers are not supported yet as well as Intel HD integrated graphics in general (yet).

Most of the rest is to be determined through some testing.

Better be too strict with the minimum requirements than too soft.

I test my projects on more than 1 computer...each with different specs and operating systems....even laptops ...

Test on at least 6 computers, each with low and high end specs and different operating systems ... and test the graphics settings in your game(if you have those set up) on those 6 computers also ...that should give you a fairly good minimum and maximum system requirements.

If you dont own 6 computers(laptops too) ..then drop your game on a USB stick and ask friends and family...take it to an internet cafe...whatever ...just find a way to test your game.

I built 6 computers.... running Windows XP - Window 7/Linux ...all with old and new hardware with different clock speeds..just for testing...and my family can use them when im not testing.

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

A list of compatible graphics cards would be nice. I know that my Radeon 5770 use to run Leadwerks although it was not an OpenGL 4.0 card, and it ran slowly. That, and now since it's latest supported driver is Omega 14.12, the 5770 and related cards don't work with Leadwerks (or possibly any OpenGL games) out of the box anymore. I was gonna put the card into my Linux machine if that was not the case.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!