Quick question about Linux executables.

reepblue

So I built recently built a "garbage-PC" (A term I use to describe building a new PC out of older usable parts.) and slapped in my old Radeon 5770 and a drive running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in it to see if Leadwerks would work at all. Also, wanted to see if Vectronic would run out of the box if a Linux user downloaded the demo.

I put the Vectronic Demo (Stand-alone Packaged) on the machine and when I tried to run it, it asked to install various packages. However, when I launched Leadwerks in Ubuntu, and created a new game, that executable launched fine. So I took that executable, renamed it "Vectronic", and boom it launched.

So my question is why does a linux executable generated from the project manager off of a Windows machine need additional packages while one generated on linux just works? Should I ship the working executable or should I just install the list of packages it wants? And to be clear, I'm not running the Window's .exe executable.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Found the issue:

The Linux executable does not set it's permissions to execute as a program. I'll copy over the executable with it's permissions set and post a quick "how to" on the blog in case it get's lost.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

There's no how-to necessary for that, really. You just use 'chmod +x executable_name' or use the graphical interface via right click and properties.

Usually these permissions don't survive a .zip file though (though there is a feature fo zip that can do that). That's why shipping Linux builds as tar.something (tar.bz2 or tar.xz would be the best choices) is usually a good idea as it keeps those permissions intact, especially the executable bit.

• Upvote 3

There's no how-to necessary for that, really. You just use 'chmod +x executable_name' or use the graphical interface via right click and properties.

Usually these permissions don't survive a .zip file though (though there is a feature fo zip that can do that). That's why shipping Linux builds as tar.something (tar.bz2 or tar.xz would be the best choices) is usually a good idea as it keeps those permissions intact, especially the executable bit.

Great information. I just thought adding a quick how to for Linux newbies like myself. Thanks for the tip, your knowledge is very helpful.