Windows 10?

drarem

I really really don't like that they force driver installs through Windows update...those should always be from the manufacturer directly ..not through Windows update...but a lot of people are too stupid to do it themselves so Microshaft has to do it for them...

windows 8 & 8.1 did also install drivers through windows update.

hi,

with the latest video card drivers from ATI, I have now no more problems with Leadwerks. for now. (windows 10)

Yeah things started to work after those drivers:)

Ignore my silly nick

The Home version of Windows 10 has no option to disable updates. This could be good or bad.

I am very wary of the "send-everything-to-the-NSA" approach that 10 seems to take. Even if you find every setting to disable, who knows what it is secretly uploading and when their servers will be hacked.

Think how many exploits IE had during its lifetime. Microsoft just created an operating system that is designed to be hacked. I really can't take the risk of using it.

qgoK5Km.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@Josh - In that case what are you doing online? If you don't want to be exposed or hacked just plug the cable from your wifi box. There is no internet without hacking and data leaks. I'm pretty sure I can salvage enough information about most of the people by doing some trivial search queries. There is no data protection in this day and age. You worry about Microsoft servers? How about your bank? What if your bank's servers are hacked? There is no protection from that, you see, even government can't protect themselves. My suggestion is either revert back to Windows 3.11 or just stop using modern technology. wink.png

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

What I think so far:

The other day, a friend of mine wanted to upgrade his laptop to Win10, and I wanted to see what the upgrade process was like so we did it. A few reboots, he was in Win10, but the machine was chugging (prob due to it using a standard drive, I thought.) The first thing stupid does is screw with Cortana and ask it "what zero divided by zero is?" and the taskbar kept locking up, Eventually, we kept getting stuck at with the "Critical Error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working." message. A few reboots, still would not go away, leaving the OS not being able to use the start menu. Luckily, task manager still worked.

I looked into the issue, and apparently, it's an issue that existed since the late beta days, and it still was not fixed. As a last resort, I booted the machine in safe mode, and the taskbar worked. Booted back in normal mode, and no more error. Yay!

Now for my machine. I'm always a sucker to try new things, So I installed the upgrade on my PC. When it was all done, the resolution was stretched because of default drivers, and I had no drivers. Also, the machine was going very slow because everything was updating to it's Win10 patch. Finally got the latest video drivers, now the sound. The drivers offered by my motherboard brand hasn't been updated since 2010, and the old drivers were still involved as the default drivers never worked in 8.1. I tried to reinstall the old drivers, and BAM! BLUE SCREEN ROFL.

I could not boot into windows anymore, so I popped in my 8.1 disk for a reset thinking "Great, now back to square one. This is gonna take forever." I reset the PC thinking it would restore 8.1, but then I saw the "Upgrading Windows" screen when it was upgrading to 10. When it was all done, I was back in Win10 with the right aspect ratio and working sound. The OS seemed to be running a lot smoother too. Installed my graphic drivers, and started to play with the settings, features, and what not.

I first played with Cortana. Yes, you have to let her record stuff about you but that's how all personal assistants work, even Siri. Interests where not available, and it seems I need a microphone to actually talk to her. I thought it would respond with text input, but it just turns into the normal search. Lame. After a restart because of updates, she forgot my name. </3.

Then I tried their Groove Music thing. I use Media Monkey as it's so easy to organize music, but any newer versions of the software I did not like, and I felt like they were pushing their gold version more. So, I sticked with the version from 2010. Yeah, it's organization is Media Player terrible, and you can't play by folders which Media Monkey, and default Android players allow you to do. It also stuttered here and there, hopefully my application from 2010 does not make windows blue screen like my drivers from that era.

I tried the e-mail app as I had it setup with 8.1. Does not work with g-mail. So I guess I'm back to fetching my e-mail on the gmail site like how I did it in Win7.

We all recall he days of IE6, and no one has used a Microsoft Browser since. Although, it has gotten a lot better since, but updates, positive reviews in articles and news papers was not enough to have people leave FireFox and Chrome. There was one time where I had to use the latest version of IE to fix a computer, and I was impressed how much faster it preformed than the Chrome browser that was installed. I was reading on Facepunch, and I saw people were saying that Chrome (Which I use) has issues with Win10, and how the Edge browser isn't terrible, and some users saying that they are gonna use it from now on. So, why not?

I'm typing on the Edge browser right now, and I find it useable. At times it feels unresponsive due to my slow DSL connection, but right now, I still miss my synced Bookmarks, auto Google account logins, and my adblock to speed up sites because everyone thinks they have unlimited data and download faster than 6 MB/s. Also, Chrome as better spell check. The browser is something I see that can get better, or worse over time. I'll most likely go back to Chrome soon.

Speaking of ads, I have not seen one yet on the actual OS. None in the start menu, the apps I've tried nothing. Maybe this is because I'm using Pro instead of Home? I was also noticing differences in the settings that Josh put up. Hopefully, this stays the case.

So, that was my Windows 10 experience. Only things I'm eyry of is their privacy agreement, But hey, obtaining and selling information is a business, and as beo6 put it, Mobile operating systems have been doing it forever, although people store different things on different devices. I dunno. I like this Operation System so far, it feels a bit more stable than Win 8.1, but I'm still interested in moving to a different OS in the future. Some people love it, some people hate it, it's just another Windows release at the end of the day.

I have not tried the Leadwerks Editor/Engine with Win10 yet, but I tried to compile the project with VS2015 (cause I was curious) and it failed to compile due to the library wanting the compile version to be 1800 instead of 1900. So, if you have the standard edition, still install VS2013 unless someone knows a work around/fix. Although it seems Josh is not digging the upgrade, I still hope that Win10 will still be supported if any issues are exclusive to that OS. Also, future VS2015 support someday.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

whats funny is that most of these things are default in most mobile operating systems already for a long time and no one cares there.

Actually they aren't. Because iOS isn't most mobile operating systems and even there Cortana isn't most of these things, just one.

@Josh - In that case what are you doing online? If you don't want to be exposed or hacked just plug the cable from your wifi box. There is no internet without hacking and data leaks. I'm pretty sure I can salvage enough information about most of the people by doing some trivial search queries. There is no data protection in this day and age. You worry about Microsoft servers? How about your bank? What if your bank's servers are hacked? There is no protection from that, you see, even government can't protect themselves. My suggestion is either revert back to Windows 3.11 or just stop using modern technology. wink.png

That's a very fatalist and uninformed opinion. You aren't victim by default and you can protect yourself. Mathematically sound encryption for example works and there's f'ck all the NSA can do about because the laws of nature and mathematics apply to everyone equally at all times. Government money can change math as little as it can wish gravity away because it's inconvenient to their agenda.

That's exactly why there's currently an anti-encryption fear campaign being created in the UK and US the latter of which tried to ban exporting strong encryption back in the nineties.

*snip*

My nephew had two blue screens today trying to play on an N64 emulator.

Besides all the privacy bollocks Windows 10 is simply unfinished software imho.

Just look at the classic control panel and settings, if it was done, everything would be in settings now.

My nephew had two blue screens today trying to play on an N64 emulator.

Besides all the privacy bollocks Windows 10 is simply unfinished software imho.

Just look at the classic control panel and settings, if it was done, everything would be in settings now.

Well, Microsoft seems to always release unfinished operating systems to meet a deadline. Sadly, that's most software these days, including games. Seems that everything should be "finished and working" by this fall. So unless 8.1 is not giving you hell like it was with me, wait till then before deciding. If you're on 7, I'd stick with that until Microsoft cut's its lifeline. I don't think they'll be as generous with it as they were with XP.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

The funny thing is I've witnessed all these updates since mid nineties. Everytime you get the same script. People find all these things to complain but in the end they all update and just move on. I still remember the initial resistance against Windows XP because it broke DOS based software, crashed too often and most of the drivers didn't work. Same thing over and over again. :) Windows is like your wife's family, like them or not but they're there and you have to tolerate that.

And don't get me started on all that encryption BS. Yes, it's a fatalist view. Its beyond me when people, in the first place, move every little bit of their sensitive information to the cloud, stored god knows where, and then complain when its broken into. Try putting a million dollars in a bullet proof glass box and put it out on the streets in some rough neighbourhood- see how long that will last. Same with data encryption and cloud storage. Get used to it.

@Olby

..it is not about having unbreakable encryption over your data or not..eventually, every protection scheme can be cracked...however, it is big difference when someone take that data and use for whatever purpose, with vs without your permission..what W10 does is basically making you to agree that everything you have/do, will be subject of their interest, regardless what you think about it..it is not about technology but personal decisions of yours, and only true freedom you really have is, to make up your mind over certain things, and if that doesn't matter anymore, so corporation with rather questionable background regarding backdoor activities, asking you to basically agree that, they can use your data, your device any way they see fit, then you are nothing more than a product, just like a computer/W10 you believe, you using..its not about technology people complaining about..its about how it is used...think about it..

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

@Olby

..it is not about having unbreakable encryption over your data or not..eventually, every protection scheme can be cracked...however, it is big difference when someone take that data and use for whatever purpose, with vs without your permission..what W10 does is basically making you to agree that everything you have/do, will be subject of their interest, regardless what you think about it..it is not about technology but personal decisions of yours, and only true freedom you really have is, to make up your mind over certain things, and if that doesn't matter anymore, so corporation with rather questionable background regarding backdoor activities, asking you to basically agree that, they can use your data, your device any way they see fit, then you are nothing more than a product, just like a computer/W10 you believe, you using..its not about technology people complaining about..its about how it is used...think about it..

The point I'm trying to make is that you will still keep using these products. Nobody stopped using iPhones when people found out they track every move you make and store it in a database. Likewise with any other product. People get really touchy when they find out these things, but as I said earlier we already leak MASSIVE amounts of data. Your name here, your email and phone number there. Use Gmail? Well Google knows everything about you. Use Siri or Cortana? Good luck, all parties involved in voice recognition solutions now have all your voice queries and voice samples. The list goes on and on. Have you ever wondered why technology has become so widespread and is offered literally for free? Don't you understand that your data is used to fund such services. People want the comfort and freedom of modern technology yet are not willing to give up their privacy. This is not how it works.

It will certainly be possible to avoid win 10 just as I avoided win 8 but sooner or later you may have to accept some future version which may still contain the problems of win 10.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

The point I'm trying to make is that you will still keep using these products. Nobody stopped using iPhones when people found out they track every move you make and store it in a database.

I did. I removed almost all apps from my phone and just use it for text messages now. I log into Facebook about once a month, and I notice no one ever says anything interesting anymore, just grandmas photos of babies and food. Mobile apps don't really do anything I need, they can only be bad, and I just don't need any other worries in my life. I remember when I got an android phone and my carrier explained to me I was being charged because I received some spam texts and DIDNT reply to them. I don't need that garbage.

Use Gmail? Well Google knows everything about you. Use Siri or Cortana? Good luck, all parties involved in voice recognition solutions now have all your voice queries and voice samples.

I don't use any of that ****. If I did I certainly would not be storing credit card numbers and source code on it. I decided to pull out of any cloud stuff years ago. It doesn't do anything I need and can only cause problems.

The list goes on and on. Have you ever wondered why technology has become so widespread and is offered literally for free? Don't you understand that your data is used to fund such services. People want the comfort and freedom of modern technology yet are not willing to give up their privacy. This is not how it works.

There is a very big difference between an opt-in website and making your whole computer public property. Windows 10 makes you vulnerable to identity theft, data theft, and credit card fraud. Threats come from hackers who now have a wealth of backdrop exploits to discover, and Microsoft employees who are looking to make a little extra cash on the side by selling social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc. they've brought all the problems and insecurity of Google and Facebook and put it on the desktop.

Do you really think there won't be employees at Microsoft who are willing to sell a list of credit card numbers or bank passwords to pick up an easy extra $10,000?

http://windowsitpro.com/industry/angry-performance-review-microsoft-employee-steals-and-shares-trade-secrets

http://fortune.com/2015/01/05/morgan-stanley-stolen-client-data/

Fortunately consumers dot not have to accept this. Windows users rejected windows 8 over a comparatively minor offense, bad UI design. The Xbox One lost the console race due largely to privacy concerns. Meanwhile IBM cloud sales have been decimated with steady decline over the last 12 quarters. Don't try to make it out like people have no choice.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Fortunately consumers dot not have to accept this. Windows users rejected windows 8 over a comparatively minor offense, bad UI design. The Xbox One lost the console race due largely to privacy concerns. Meanwhile IBM cloud sales have been decimated with steady decline over the last 12 quarters. Don't try to make it out like people have no choice.

Not only that, but the XBone was less powerful and more expensive than the PS4, and came with something that no one wanted. Also, it's DRM policy on games. It also required people to always be connected to the internet which would be an issue with people with slow/limited internet access. Sales have been climbing since new management with it being kinectless and $349USD. No one really switched to 8 until 8,1 really. As time goes on, (and when it becomes more of a complete OS) more people will adopt Win10.

Again, I'm more than positive that MS tracked and recorded your actions with Windows 8. It even had a back door, and I think a back door was installed in a Windows Update for 7. Just because now they are "admitting" to it, now it's suddenly a hot topic. It's nothing new, we've should have had this discussion 3 years ago. We live in this day in age, it sucks, but we are not fully under big brother yet. You still have a choice of what you decide to use. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade to Win10. If you don't like where Windows is going, now is the time to warm up to a new OS before your 7 or 8.1 stops being supported.

I know my next machine isn't gonna run Windows, and I've been using the OS since I was 4. My next machine is most likely run Ubuntu, I just hope by the time I abandon Windows, more and better software will be available. I'm pretty much able to do everything I do on Windows with Ubuntu, minus Illustrator. I'm also interested in building a Hackintosh at some point just for fun.

So, besides the whole big privacy festival, Leadwerks runs fine as it did with Win8.1; although now that does not seem to be the real reason why people are not upgrading, but I may as well put that out there.

I did. I removed almost all apps from my phone and just use it for text messages now. I log into Facebook about once a month, and I notice no one ever says anything interesting anymore, just grandmas photos of babies and food. Mobile apps don't really do anything I need, they can only be bad, and I just don't need any other worries in my life. I remember when I got an android phone and my carrier explained to me I was being charged because I received some spam texts and DIDNT reply to them. I don't need that garbage.

I don't use any of that ****. If I did I certainly would not be storing credit card numbers and source code on it. I decided to pull out of any cloud stuff years ago. It doesn't do anything I need and can only cause problems.

There is a very big difference between an opt-in website and making your whole computer public property. Windows 10 makes you vulnerable to identity theft, data theft, and credit card fraud. Threats come from hackers who now have a wealth of backdrop exploits to discover, and Microsoft employees who are looking to make a little extra cash on the side by selling social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc. they've brought all the problems and insecurity of Google and Facebook and put it on the desktop.

Do you really think there won't be employees at Microsoft who are willing to sell a list of credit card numbers or bank passwords to pick up an easy extra $10,000?

http://windowsitpro.com/industry/angry-performance-review-microsoft-employee-steals-and-shares-trade-secrets

http://fortune.com/2015/01/05/morgan-stanley-stolen-client-data/

You are still online (and most likely using the same credit cards for online purchases) so there is loads of information one could find about you. While I agree that having a such policy covering your whole computer is unnecessary - it is the future. Besides you are from a different generation, there are folk who can not live and work without their clouds, cell phones and the internet. How about internet of things (IoT), driverless cars, or even floor cleaning robots equipped with GPS. The future is inevitable like it or not. Pernaps your next phone or computer will require 24/7 internet access. And don't get me started with Ubuntu or SteamOS. They're not saints and are likely already leaking your data. If you haven't heard about it doesn't mean they don't. You can hide only for so long. Canonical is just another commercial venture.

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Yeah but I refuse to install it on my main(primary) computer ... and it wont install on my laptop...I tried 8 times ...each time it says "restoring your previous version of Windows" or something...cant remember what it exactly said ...but it gave no error messages..

Soo..I guess I wont bother.. since both my laptop and main computer have Windows 7...and that OS works perfect atm ..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

I've been thinking it might be prudent for those that absolutely need to have a Windows installation to wait for Windows Server 2016 to release and consider that their workstation OS from that point forward, as that seems to come without the bollocks attached.

That will have a serious price tag attached though but that's better than the many different ways of none-currency payment one will make for Windows 10.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe, one day, ReactOS will be finished. One day.

I currently use Windows 10 and quite like it. Also have a netbook running Arch. I dont like all the 'Microsoft will store all your stuff' vibe, so I dont really use Windows 10 as anything else other than an os. I very much agree with privacy and having the option to remain anonymous (only use incognito mode when browsing because principles). Having said that, I wouldnt rush out and switch to Tails Linux or anything like that. Yet.