[Solved] Speed again !!!

Roland

I get only around 30 FPS with a terrain (256x256) + one texture layer, a light, and a camera.

This simply doesn’t add up. Have context:Sync(false) so that's not it, also running in Release mode.

Tested with some other engines and get more than double that speed for even more complicated scenes.

Maybe something is wrong at my end.

Here are some info

----------

Initializing OpenGL4 graphics driver...

OpenGL version 450

GLSL version 450

Device: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

---------

CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz × 4

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

Driver: nVidia 352.21

Memory: 7,8 GiB

I'm using latest Beta version.

What do you guys get ??

You can download the project here.

30 FPS with almost nothing. This can't be right because then the engine would be unusable.

AV MX Linux

I can't start the project stand-alone as it fails to load libsteam_api.so but importing it as a project and running it I got around 700-900 and some odd fps. On the very same driver version as you.

My hardware is an overclocked AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5 GHz and an Nvidia GTX 970.

And this is what it all boils down to: Your hardware and the way a Leadwerks Lua game works.

While your GPU is fast enough to get much better performance out of it your CPU is the bottleneck here.

Lua is single threaded, OpenGL is single threaded and Leadwerks Lua projects use both of those.

On top of that Leadwerks uses a deferred renderer which - if I understand correctly - is a bit more taxing on the hardware but scales better overall.

And while I don't want to throw Josh under the bus I don't think that Leadwerks' OpenGL renderer aims to minimize CPU overhead at all, or is offloaded into its own thread. I think only physics might really be its own thread

So while you have 4 cores, each one individually is rather weak and the way the engine is built just hammers one poor little core which bottlenecks your GPU.

One quick way to try and help is by running your game with the __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 environment variable set, which makes the driver itself do some offloading.

The only real solution here is a new CPU* with fast single thread performance ( a modern Intel i5 or i7, AMD FX only to a lesser extent, they are rather long in the tooth).

Trust me, I did the same recently and it helped immensly in just about every Linux game there is as well as Leadwerks.

*getting a new CPU in your case means new motherboard and RAM as well.

• Upvote 1

@DerRidda, I'm ever so thankful that you took the time to check this for me.

Yes. I was prepared for getting a new gear, but wanted to check first.

Will check around what will be a good purchase for a Ubuntu PC.

Again, Thanks a lot biggrin.png

AV MX Linux

I really doubt the CPU is causing that kind of slowdown.

I'm fairly certain it is because of my own experience with a slightly faster Phenom II.

Okay it isn't really JUST the CPU.

You have to add to that that it isn't just the CPU itself. The entire system is based on the old FSB architecture, where everything has to pass through the northbridge to get to the CPU. which proved to be an extreme bottleneck.

If you have your PCIe graphics card, memory and disks all throwing data round, as in a typical game scenario just about nothing is running as fast as it technically could.

Anybody who has performance demands shouldn't be on an FSB based system these days.

• 2 weeks later...

@Roland :

LE3 is as demanding as Unreal 4 laugh.png

On my PC and old 3D card : Radeon HD 6500 LE3 FPS demos was too slow game , some real slowdowns to 15 Fps sometimes with vsync to false and 1024*768 and simple quality.

I changed to a GTX 970 and i got a constant 60 fps with vsynch on.

If you want to be confortable you must upgrade.

Stop toying and make games

Yeah your absolutely right there Mr Groove. Was just thinking about that yesterday. Now I can't complain about speed in the forums, what should I now do. Geeez. .... I may have to make a game. Who could have guessed that. Well I actually started with some tests for an idea I have in another engine, but now when speed isn't an issue anymore I will return and make it with LE which in the end is my roots. This time I will base it on LUA and only do C++ stuff IF it's absolutely needed. The game will be called "Zero - The journey into void". Will write some blog on that later on

AV MX Linux

If it's just starting on mutliple prototype, it can be good then , because it will help you find at some point what prototype you want to push into a complete game. The most important is not the 3D engine , but making a project that drives and motivates you.

Also you should avoid targetting a game looking like ones made by 50 people veterans, or you will never finish it, the right thing to do is to sacle down the models complexity, characters complexity and graphics to your level and begin from here.

There is some great stylized games with clever level design doing great like the games Journey or Flower on PS4.

Have fun it's what matters smile.png

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games