My lifts are 'sticky'!

Angelwolf

Hello all!

I've had a quick search around but couldn't find the answer to my question, so thought I'd start a thread.

I've made myself a lift and a moving platform using the sliding door code. So far, it works great. The trouble comes when it comes to actually walking on the 'door'. The player feels sticky, without the free, usual 'glidey' movement before stepping onto the platform.

What can I do to remove this 'sticky' movement issue?

I have my player set to a move speed of 7, and it's certainly a lot more noticeable that way.

If you stand on the lift and tap forwards a couple of times, you can see how it differs compared to doing the same on a normal path.

I've made a quick video to show what I mean.

That's all been recorded by tapping the W key to move forwards. You can see the difference between walking on the 'normal' floor, and the lift. What do you think might be causing this?

I've tried starting a new project and making a new lift - no dice. I've tried using a brand new, un-modified FPS player but that doesn't help either.

I tried it , too. works fine for me but i noticed the player mass is set to 10 . set it to default: 100 , maybe this will help

Thank you for the suggestion. I've just tried this, but it doesn't make a difference sad.png

Edit:

I have found that one way to work around this was to make two lifts which act as supports to one large slab.

For example, two bars with one flat slab resting on top of them. Its certainly not an ideal solution, but I can't find any other way to get around it. If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd really appreciate it. It took me over an hour to find the right balance to have the two bar-lifts work, and it'd be much easier if I didn't have to do this every time.

In the tutorial, I noticed that for the lift all the parts were joined together. I have tried to replicate this in my project by dragging and dropping them into each other which works, however when the lift is used, only the item with the script attached to it moves and it leaves the rest of the items behind. How can I change this?

There is an old elevator script here

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxLsUYPSspxcfk9LTzllZGpacjV6WWtDelJnVGxwRU9lRDQzNUtSWHE0N2ZCc0Z2SVNQcnM&usp=drive_web&tid=0BxLsUYPSspxcfms3bmpvQlBSVjVYREljSElpQ3JfTmQydzg4anExZ2Fyb0I3NjZxSmkwd1E

It's from the old werkspace site. It might just solve your problem.

PS there are some other good scripts there too.

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately the elevator script doesnt work right off the bat, so ill need to see if i can modify it. But there look like some other great scripts there too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of having elevator components grouped together, so they all move when the lift is activated? Right now i can only work out how to move an individual item at a time, for example only the elevator floor will move, and leave the safety rails behind.

Ideally, these would all be modeled as one object, but you can also parent objects to the base:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/tutorials/_/scene-panel-r3

It's best to make this as a prefab so you can just reuse the one object over and over.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yeah. the Joint:Slider function changed at some point.

here is a fixed version of the Elevator script:

Elevator.lua

Btw. i didn't noticed anything wrong with your example map too.

So maybe you have modified your scripts a bit that this happens?

Because it looks a bit that your elevator is still active when you step on it.

In my script the elevator is deactivated when it is not moving with setting its mass to 0 which might help there.

//Edit: that script there in google drive is really really old i think. smile.png

//Edit2: just uploaded it to the Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=510080616

not sure why i haven't done that sooner.

Edited by beo6
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for that, i will give it a go next time i work on my game some more!

I did consider that my problem may have been due to some changes in my scripts, but even when starting a brand new project, the issue still remains. Im completely baffled because it seems like its a problem for myself only.

Out of interest, what happens if you stand under a door as it closes? Does it slide you out of the way?