Workshop store feedback thread

Josh

I just wanted to get your feedback on the Workshop store thus far. The presentation and searchability of the interface can definitely be improved, but I wanted to get the minimal functionality working for paid items first. What do you think so far? Are there any types of items you would especially like to see added?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It works pretty well! Maybe some more scripted objects in the future kind of like some of the DLC, although maybe a lot of users will start making those types of things.

I wish I could pay from inside the Steam client and not on the web however. I'm not sure if that's something you can control, but it's a pain having to log in and do the extra authentication stuff (like emailed codes and such) for the web because I generally don't use Steam from there. Also, I'm not really sure what the curated items means on the workshop page and why I can't do anything on those Workshop pages.

Overall, great job though!

The price could be more prominent on the buy page.

Buying though the steam browser would be good.

Scripts and templates to buy would be good as well as model and textures. Things like FlowGui or Game template's.

Having Arteria products is good, attracting more like dexsoft etc would be great.

Looking good and another big step in a great direction.

Elite Cobra Squad

Is it possible to install into another folder other than the top level project folder? It clutters it up and requires going in and cleaning up the files manually. Maybe importing and installing into the selected asset folder instead would be more useful. Thanks!

It's really up to how the author set up their directory structure. Some files won't work if you change the folder because they expect other files in a certain location. The paid items have strict curation to avoid things like dumpng a bunch of files in the project root, but the free files are unmoderated.

Although DLC sales have been very good this week, sales in the Workshop store have been virtually zero. Everyone agrees this is a good idea, yet no one is buying, so I am seriously second-guessing this feature.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

There could be a few reasons (these are just guesses):

1. Some items may be overpriced. I love Arteria3D, but $9 for a donkey only usable in one engine seems a little much. IMO, the environment packs are good deals though. There also aren't any videos, just a single screenshot, so I wouldn't know what I was buying (I do because I'm an Arteria3D member, I just bought something anyway to support the engine). I imagine some Arteria3D members won't buy though because they already own the assets.

2. They aren't accessible through the Steam client. I can't even see the prices. So you have to go through the Leadwerks editor. Other games usually don't have Workshop subscribe features built into the game itself, so naturally I think a lot of people just look at the Workshop through the client and see blank pages for the store products. I was thinking this would be how Skyrim tried to do paid mods. It was easy to see what you needed to buy and what the prices were, and you could buy right there.

3. Unlike some of the DLC, the models don't have scripts. Two of the DLC don't either though, although both had pretty good visibility. Is there any data on scripts vs. non-script DLC? I would have been more eager to purchase the crusader if it included a simple AI script.

4. The Workshop items aren't on the front store page of Leadwerks unlike the DLC. If I hadn't been following the blog posts, I wouldn't even know I could purchase anything. Maybe a trailer or a video might help? Obviously, the Workshop items won't be able to have the same visibility as the DLC due to Steam's content display.

5. Also, the same assets sold on Arteria3D's website are like a quarter of the price (includes Leadwerks format as well as additional formats and source assets). I can't imagine that would help with sales.

Sorry if I'm being too critical. I really liked this idea and think it would have been great for the engine!

• Upvote 1

As a well rounded game developer, I look at the items for sale, and go "Oh cool, if I need these for a project, I know where I can get them" and then go back to what ever I'm doing. Arteria has quite a selection, but nothing that screams, "This will be helpful for any project." The Vegetation DLC, FPS Models, and Zombie Pack can be useful even if you're just messing around, and not making anything serious while the Arteria's content looks more for a specific use, and are tied into a specific theme.

I think the answer would be is to get more content like the DLCs that can be used for many things. I was thinking about putting time aside and working on stuff that I would consider useful for any project. I'd also look into why Epic is doing so well with their Marketplace, and see what content they are offering for their engine, and why people are buying it.

Also, just my two cents, if we could get someone to put up a good collection of sound effects we can use that'd be awesome. I find that sound effects are the hardest asset to come by, as they need to sound good and fit perfectly. I'd definitely pay money for that.

• Upvote 2

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Love the idea of paid Workshop items. I agree with much that has been said so far.

Ateria has been promoting on the Leadwerks forums for quite sometime. Many users will of already purchased many of their items. I have the total horror zombie, striketroop, shanty town and the sewer construction kits. The animals available are good but hardly high demand items for games.

If the models came with ready made scripts so the user can just drop them into their game ( like the crawler) would make them more attractive.

I liked the idea of the "Lego sets". For example a war set. It would have one or two soldiers with AI scripts, Some props like concrete walls, sandbags and tents. Add a couple of textures of walls and houses so the users could put them on some csg.

Or a car set. 3 or 4 cars, some traffic lights, road signs and some road textures it would give the user a palette to use to produce a half decent game.

I don't think you should abandon the idea just because the initial offerings are not in high demand.

• Upvote 1

Would love to be able to sell scripts or game tenplates.

I was hoping to sell the next integration of LEX on the workshop, however Josh made it clear that he want's to stick to assets like materials and models for now as they are very unlikely to break over time due to updates.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

I think these models would sell better if they had a few extra animations that you don't often get as standard, such as"climbing and , picking up objects and pushing open doors or double doors.Not just walk,run,attack and die.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I think these models would sell better if they had a few extra animations that you don't often get as standard, such as"climbing and , picking up objects and pushing open doors or double doors.Not just walk,run,attack and die.

I agree with you on this, but more the fact that you can't edit them to add your own animations if you need them. There's no way a 3d artist could add animations for absolutely every action possible.

Not being able to add animations by not having the base format is a no go. Maybe for prototyping but not for anything serious.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think that the marketplace should focus more on static props, textures, audio and script/shaders

Since the introduction of the paid items, I haven't been that active at LE but I'll just give you my thoughts on it at a glance.

- The main content of animals doesn't appeal to me it would be pretty specific to a limited number of projects imo and that's only if the developer needs them, from what I can gather most people are making fps's here and want guns and zombies sorry for the generalisation =).

- It seems Arteria are the main player in this, so why would I buy it in a proprietary format when I can get the source at Arteria? I would expect a vastly cheaper price due to this but it dose not look like the case. Although I've never purchased from Atreria the quality looks great, no complaints there.

- I also would not hesitate to buy things like post process effect scripts. Shader Guru's like Shadmar could make a buck or two.

- I would be more inclined to buy a pack of models not individual ones and get more value for money.

- When searching 'View All' I can't tell what's free or paid till I click on the item.

- Id like to see a method in which the user can create a plugin for the engine.

Is selling open to anyone or just Arteria atm?

I'll look at it in more detail when I have the time.

Cheers

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

Regarding Character models I think there should be a FBX file in the download if there isn't one.

I think if they were themed so you had a few sci-fi troops and another pack pack of aliens for them to fight or a similier pack of modern troops and zombies they would sell better. Also buildings/props to match.

I have some Arteria models etc and its decent stuff. Might even have a lifetime membership?

Scripts with them so they can do the basics would be great. People can just throw them in and play.

Small extra charge would be fine.

You have to make it easy for beginners.

Adding more from Dexsoft or others would be good.

It would be good to add scripts for sale also products like FlowGUI and shaders.

I too would pay for Shadmars work.

You would have to be careful with scripts because they might need updating so I think you would have to vet script contributers more closely.

I think its a case of being patiant with this direction, it might be a slow start but I think the idea is sound.

Elite Cobra Squad

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's what I have:

Discoverability

• Many new users don't know what the Workshop is or how to use it. A sidebar button would make it more prominent.
  • Categories like the game launcher would be good, although it doesn't really matter right now.

Presentation

• The main index could definitely use better presentation.
  • The product page in the editor should show videos and multiple images.
  • Better product descriptions with polygon counts, texture dimensions, and images clearly showing all included models would be better.

Product

• Source art files should be included when possible. I am adding support for FBX, BLEND, PSD, PNG, etc. files in Workshop. The editor will extract these in an order so that it doesn't trigger a reconversion of the file.
  • Although I am sticking to models and materials for now, a greater variety of products and different kinds of products is wanted.
  • Models that have scripting are more valuable. If we approach this by trying to script each model, it will be an impossible task. If I add a few more scripts for different common behaviors, it will cover 95% of all possible needs. For exampe, the MonsterAI script works just fine with the clown model, with no changes. The common scripts I should add include the following:
    • MonsterAI: Enemy with melee attack.
    • SoldierAI: Enemy with projectile and melee attack.
    • Vehicle: Driveable vehicles that can be entered by the player.
    • Third-person player: An RPG third-person player with a few options.

• Upvote 6

• The product page in the editor should show videos and multiple images.
  • Better product descriptions with polygon counts, texture dimensions, and images clearly showing all included models would be better.

Defo. It's bare minimum at the moment and asking to hand over hard cash. :)

For me personally packs are more attractive than single models. I suppose all the animal models could be bundled as pack item for example and sell at a value bundle price. Packs like the dlc are great for starting games and tend to be better value.

Check out my games: One More Day / Halloween Pumpkin Run

Defo. It's bare minimum at the moment and asking to hand over hard cash. smile.png

That's actually a really good way to roll products out. Release the minimum product, ask for money, then learn and improve, as we are doing now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've implemented the crossed-out items in the list above. The interface could still be improved slightly, but it's 90% of the way there. The checkout process has been streamlined. A side-panel button makes the Workshop more prominent in the main interface.

The remaining issues have to do with the presentation of the products, and the contents themselves:

• Source art files should be included. I am adding support for FBX, BLEND, PSD, PNG, etc. files in Workshop. The editor will extract these in an order so that it doesn't trigger a reconversion of the file.
  • Models that have scripting are more valuable.

I plan to release the mercenary character as a paid Workshop item, with a new AI script. The script will be reusable for other enemies that fire weapons, like Arteria's Strike Troop.