Leadwerks editor crashing and fps drops in game

Nexerade

I have FPS drops on my game when watching to center of the map.

Once my map become "big" actually it's not, but it's no more "demo-sized" and more than maps in Half-Life 1, Editor sometimes freezes and then only way is to kill the program.

How is the render works? Is there any special triggers for non-render zones or do I have to paint outside walls into invisible like in Source Engine?

I am not silly. My english is just not really great. T_T

But I'm learning! :D

I've also noticed this, even with relatively simple scenes. The rendering performance does leave a lot to be desired, even though there are a number of optimizations in the engine. Something just doesn't seem right.

You can paint outside walls with the Caulk material. That way they are not rendered or have collision, but keep in mind, doing so may let light into rooms that shouldn't have light going into them.

I tried to make all my textures 256x256 instead of 2048x2048 - it doesn't make any difference.

Then I tried to disable all my light sources (~20 total) and it gives me from 16-60 FPS up to 200-400 FPS.

I'd tried to make everything in the scene to Medium draw distance instead of Max and and got 25-80 FPS.

So, any ideas?

The problem here has to do with your point lights. You had a ton of point lights that had a large range, bigger than was needed. This can cause problems because it means that shadow updates get triggered more easily, whenever an object in the light's range moves. It also means that when a shadow is updated, it requires a larger amount of objects to be rendered into the shadow map.

The other problem was that occlusion culling was disabled on all your lights. This means they get rendered more frequently and aren't culled as efficiently.

I set all the point light ranges to 5, down from 10, enabled occlusion culling on each, and the map now runs at a solid 60 FPS in most places. You may want to work on those outdoor areas, since there are no walls to prevent the player from viewing the whole rest of the level, and the framerate still drops there.

Cool map, BTW, I look forward to playing the finished game.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Wow thank you. That really helped a lot.

Outdoor areas you saw was just there because map is not complete. I'm not planning to add any outdoor areas yet.

I'm just adding walls in the very last moment, cause firstly I want to create topology of the map.

Thank you again for the help.

***By the way, if you really liked my map - you should play King's Field 1 in US/EU or King's Field 2 in JP (It's the same game), cause this is my source inspiration.