Test Map "hangs" ...

Greyfang

I have created a (small) test map and loaded a few characters and a few "scene objects" (models) into the map.

When I start the map, things look OK ... but without a warning, at some time, it will just freeze ... end of game.

The editor is still accessable, so it's not the entire PC that freezes.

I have tried running it in debugging mode, but there it doesn't even start the level. It just sitzt there with a "busy cursor" ... and that's the end of it.

Since I am still a newbie (just playing around, really), I do not doubt for a second, that it is something I have done. But I just don't know where to look.

I suspect that the newly discoved WAYPOINTS are a potential issue.

I understand that when I place a waypoint, I can drag&drop it to the AI character target field and it will go/run their.

When I look at the waypoint entity, I see that the script has a number of "target" fields. I can't figure out what they are used for (looked at waypoint.lua, but that confused me more than clarify anything).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Greyfang

OK ... very strange ... now I have a map that worked fine yesterday (testing some of the Dexsoft models) and today, I am getting the "run window", but it is all black. I can still "walk" (WASD keys) because I can hear the sound. But I don't see anything ... blink.pnghuh.png

CPU shows 16% usage for the "Test001.exe", 129 MB RAM usage ...

Here are my system specs:

• Windows 10 (latest update)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • AMD 8350 Octacore
  • Nvidea GTX980 (latest drivers installed)
  • 2x SAMSUNG 1 TB SSDs
  • 1 Hitachi 2 TB harddisk ...

I am perfectly willing to say "mea culpa ... I did something I shouldn't have done !" ... but I just have no clue what that could be ... I've attached the MAP (as above) ... unsure.png

Cheers,

Greyfang

DEX_Test01.zip

post-17226-0-84824300-1462213612_thumb.png

@macklebee: Thanks for taking a look at the second map. If I have water enabled, do I not need a water shader in order to have the waterplane show properly ? Or am I just completely on the wrong track here ???? unsure.png

No, you do not need that shader to have the water plane show properly. First, you need to set the water plane height to something other than 0.0 to even see it. Second, you need a skybox texture/material selected. And after that, the problem appears to be that you have another set of shaders installed that is preventing the skybox reflection on the inherent water plane.

It appears shadmar's 'Substances-Metal-Roughness' is not playing friendly with the inherent water. Remove that workshop installation, update the project to re-install your original LE shaders/files, and then run the program. You should see the skybox reflecting off the waterplane. At least that works for me.

Its getting to the point that people need to start including information about what other non-official shaders/files/executables they are using when posting problems. Just recently, there was someone posting a LE bug report that turned out to be a problem from the LEX template and not LE. Without knowing that someone is using 3rd party files like shaders or executables, it can lead to confusion on how to solve a problem.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Point well made ...

Thank you for taking the time to look at my problem map and for posting a response. smile.png

I agree that it will be exceedingly helpful, if all "non-standard" shaders etc. are mentioned in such a post.

Since I am a newbie with shaders, how did you work out that shadmar's shader is interfering with the inherent water ? I wouldn't even know where to begin the error analysis.

Thanks again,

Greyfang

OK ... thanks for the input ... got the DEX_Test01 map "fixed" ...

And the other map includes a quadruped "monster" (cavemonster from Dexsoft), and as soon as it collides with another AI-character, it appears that the map freezes.

Looking at the collision cage, I see a cylinder "straight up" (Y-axis ?), centered in the middle of the mesh. I had assigned "Charactercontroller & character" in the physics section ... is there some other setting I should have used ?

Or do I need to go in and make a specialized version of the AI script ?

Cheers,

Greyfang

I ran your map but it didn't do anything out of the ordinary. It's missing any files that don't come with the FPS game template, so you might need to upload the whole project.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Since I am a newbie with shaders, how did you work out that shadmar's shader is interfering with the inherent water ? I wouldn't even know where to begin the error analysis.

I did not have the shadmar Substance shader installed. So when I loaded your map, one of the materials/textures that didn't load was related to those files. So I installed shadmar's files and I had no reflection on the water in game after I applied a skybox texture. Uninstalled shadmar's substance files, updated the project to re-install the official shaders, and the reflection existed in game.

And the other map includes a quadruped "monster" (cavemonster from Dexsoft), and as soon as it collides with another AI-character, it appears that the map freezes.

Looking at the collision cage, I see a cylinder "straight up" (Y-axis ?), centered in the middle of the mesh. I had assigned "Charactercontroller & character" in the physics section ... is there some other setting I should have used ?

Or do I need to go in and make a specialized version of the AI script ?

Are you using the MonsterAI script on the Dexsoft model? If so, I suspect that your character doesn't have the same animation naming convention as what is called out in the inherent example script (ie 'Idle', 'Run', 'Death', 'Attack1', & 'Attack2'). Look at the crawler model's animations in the Model Editor as a reference. If you are going to use other naming, then you will have to create your own custom AI script.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Are you using the MonsterAI script on the Dexsoft model? If so, I suspect that your character doesn't have the same animation naming convention as what is called out in the inherent example script (ie 'Idle', 'Run', 'Death', 'Attack1', & 'Attack2'). Look at the crawler model's animations in the Model Editor as a reference. If you are going to use other naming, then you will have to create your own custom AI script.

I was aware of that and changed that in the built-in model viewer / editor ---- KUDOS to Leadwerks for that ... the improvement Josh made to the (animation) pipeline are a real time saver ...

This is turning out to be more fun than I had anticipated smile.png a bit frustrating at times, but fun ...

Cheers,

Greyfang

I ran your map but it didn't do anything out of the ordinary. It's missing any files that don't come with the FPS game template, so you might need to upload the whole project.

OK ... that is going to be a challenge, because of the size ... given the "random assets" I have thrown onto the map, I would probably have to upload it to dropbox or something similar and then send a link as a PM.

Cheers,

Greyfang