New to LGE

flaredsneeze

I have just bought this program two days ago and liking it already. I know that it is not a top end engine as Unity or UDK but I must say it is very easy to use. So far. :) I've followed a few tutorials and learned how to use doors, the player controller and even figured out how to create my own characters with fuse and Mixamo and get them into Leadwerks flawlessly. :) And it works well with Blender.

Finally a program I can have a little fun with. Thanks Josh.

Nice program.

• Upvote 4

We've actually had features years ahead of Unity, Unreal, and even Crytek like deferred rendering, because they were held back by consoles and mobile and we focused on the PC. We have things like buffered shadow maps that their engineers haven't even figured out yet because we've been using the technology since 2007.

I also demonstrated the world's first deferred renderer running on an iPad at the GDC in 2013:

Our vegetation system uses no memory to place an infinite number of instances. It's so advanced it's featured in the recently published book "Game Engine Gems 3", which is available from CRC Press:

https://www.crcpress.com/Game-Engine-Gems-3/Lengyel/p/book/9781498755658

Our terrain system, again, is completely unique and unlike anything anyone else is doing right now:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/tutorials/_/terrain-r9

I hope the tools help you create what you have in mind.

• Upvote 4

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@Josh, I mean no disrespect talking about Unity or UDK as being any better than Leadwerks, The truth comes down to the fact that I just don't know enough about Leadwerks to be making any real assumptions of what your program can or cannot handle. So I will take back that remark till I am more educated in Leadwerks to be making that kind of comment. :D Unity and UDK have a lot to offer in the way of power and their graphics are still very nice. But one can't forget that they both do come with a very heavy price tag in the end.

However, I really don't think you'll see a comment like that from me again. :D I've been playing pretty hard with this program trying to learn all I can about it. I am realizing that this program really does have some nice features about it. And besides, it has lua and c+ support so how can it be any different really than any other so called "high end" engine. Am I right?

Looking through the tutorials, I thought there were to few of them till I realized that there are some really good examples in the API Reference. One good one being the vehicle demo. But then the tutorials really are pretty explanatory. And I've learned a lot from them so far. I know nothing of LUA yet.... But have played with Dark Basic pro for a few years and noticed that the structure of LUA is very similar.

I also like the fact that the 3D world studio editor is integrated as your world builder. Yes I was an owner of both Cartography shop and 3D world studio :D, I think I still have a copy of the 3dws but last I remember it didn't work on windows 10 properly. I've also had problems with DBpro which is what led to me searching out an actual graphical editor instead. I've been playing with this program for a week now and I can go on all day about the things that I like in Leadwerks. But what I like most... The program is down right user friendly and easy to use. Again Thank You.