Random tree/vegetation sizes?

blueapples

Is there any way to have random tree/vegetation sizes other than having multiple copies of each model at different sizes and painting over the same areas?

Maybe something I can tweak in a shader to randomly scale vegetation models based on their x,y position on the terrain?

Hmm, I guess it does, but the effect is very subtle for me -- so much so I didn't detect it in my map. I would expect the largest version to be at least 3-4x the size of the smallest (along a bell curve) since that would represent a realistic distribution for a real forest.

I think there would be problems with that. A tree that is four times bigger than another of the same species has really different proportions. Think of a sapling versus a large oak tree. There might be some more customization added later at some point, but I think the default of 0.75-1.25x is pretty good.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think there would be problems with that. A tree that is four times bigger than another of the same species has really different proportions. Think of a sapling versus a large oak tree. There might be some more customization added later at some point, but I think the default of 0.75-1.25x is pretty good.

There's no way to make it so we can specify the range of scale we want?

Yeah all I am really asking for is a couple options on each vegetation item that allow us to specify the range.

Seems like art direction should be up to whoever is making the game, if the tree size is inconsistent that's the developer's problem. The engine isn't supposed to just be a game maker with all predefined presets right?

This would be less painful for me if the limit on the number of vegetation items was higher.

You can just edit the vegetation shader. I'll update this answer once I find the right line.

Edit: So what you have to do is this:

1. Go to your materials for your vegetation, go to the shader tab, press the pencil button next to the "Vegetation" shader
  2. A screen should pop up, change the stage to "Vertex"
  3. There's a line about adjusting the scale. This scaling variable is what you need to change. You need to do this for all materials of your vegetation. You will see an equation that sets the scale
  4. Make two new float variables for your range (i.e. "float small", "float large")
  5. Replace the .x scaling range variable with "small" and the .y scaling range variable with "large"

Now your vegetation will scale within those ranges.

• Upvote 2