Check For Any Key Pressed / Alt Key Mapping

gamecreator

At the title screen, I would like to have the user "Press any key to continue..." I couldn't find a Leadwerks function that does this. I also searched the forums and no luck there either.

Possibilities:

- Use a Windows-only function like GetKeyboardState though I'd rather not have this be the only thing preventing a Linux deployment

- See if I can incorporate another library like SDL but I doubt the Publisher will play well with it and I'd also rather avoid this

- Somehow check all of the keys one by one with KeyHit. I'm not sure how this would work as far as C code goes besides something going in a loop. For example, is it safe to check for later letters by incrementing on A (A+1, A+2, etc.)?

Thoughts?

Also, is there any way to not have the Alt button trigger the window menu? Most games let you map this button.

I made a helper class with a method AnyKeyDown(). I would loop over all the keys or a specific set like enter, space, escape, etc.

The downside to this is that Leadwerks has now marked those checked key as used. So if you would check the

state of a button again in another script, it would return a different value. That why I store the values of every key and use my own functions to check for key down/up.

Maybe this has changed though (haven't used in Le in a while).

• Upvote 1

I made a helper class with a method AnyKeyDown(). I would loop over all the keys or a specific set like enter, space, escape, etc.

The downside to this is that Leadwerks now has marked those checked key as used. So if you would check the

state of a button again in another script, it would return a different value. That why I store the values of every key and use my own functions to check for key down/up.

Maybe this has changed though (haven't used in Le in a while).

Hi, I Think you just pin pointed one of my major bugs. When i pick up a weapon in my game, it shoots once. So i made like a timer thing were u can shoot only after 1 second of picking it up. Anyway, is there a way around this?

I'm using C/C++ so Lua limitations are not an issue. I think going the method you suggested is the best, unless someone has a better idea. It's not that bad to do this one by one

key[i++]=Key::A;
key[i++]=Key::B;
etc.

or if they're incremental

(for int i=0; i<26; i++) key[i]=Key::A+i;

but not sure how reliable this is.