Trigger zone material like Source

thehankinator

How can I make a material that is visible in the editor but not when the game is running? For use specifically for invisible triggers. I could change the material via a script but it would be nice if I could create a special material that did all that for me.

I'm thinking of something similar to how it looks in Source engine

009-csgo-11.jpg

• Upvote 1

Draw a csg and change it's material to invisible (or I think there is a pink one (search in the Materials folder) that when applied doesn't show up in the game but does in the editor). To get the functionality of a trigger you'll still need to add a script and change the collision to trigger on the csg.

I made something a while back, but when you use it with probes, the reflection of the trigger brushes get baked within it's reflection.

Josh said (a while back, mind you) he was gonna look into a "show in-game" option in which unlike "Hidden", would only have the entities Draw function skipped.

• Upvote 2

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Make a material with the 'transparent.shader'

Then use this code:

function Script:Start()
 if not DEBUG then
   local material = Material:Create()
   material:SetBlendMode(5)--Blend.Invisible
   self.entity:SetMaterial(material)
   material:Release()
 end
end

This will make whatever the object is invisible at runtime (F6), but visible when debugging (f5) or in the editor.

Yes, but if a trigger brush will get seen by the probe cameras and the reflection will have your trigger brush in the cubemap!

Yes, if you are using probes, you will need to hide the triggers in the editor prior to performing the GI option.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Yes, if you are using probes, you will need to hide the triggers in the editor prior to performing the GI option.

That's how I did it in the Vectronic Demo, it was kind of a pain tho.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...