Resize Bug

I put a few rocks in my scene (all from one model) but noticed that they're too small. I then went back to my modeling program, scaled up both the rock and its collision shape and exported and imported the FBX. This is what I saw in the editor:

post-368-0-87295400-1482899307_thumb.jpg

The collision hull looks like it's scaled up in the scene but the rocks remained the same size. But the model editor shows them both the same size. However, if I drag another rock into the scene then it appears as the correct new size.

In short: it seems like the scene isn't updating the old entities in the scene with the new size on import (only the collision hull).

Also confirmed by running it in the EXE (new rock is big, old ones are small, but all have the same large collision hull).

Resizing using the model viewer doesn't effect anything in the scene.

I realize that each object has its own scale in the scene so the bug is likely that the collision shapes should be variable sizes too.

Just to be clear, this isn't vegetation placed rocks, right? It might be an issue with imported collision meshes from the fbx. I noticed a few gotchas with this system, but most people use the model editor to build shapes.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Yes. I meant to mention that these are not vegetation. Thanks.

And maybe it's a control thing but I love doing this in Max. I can control how many polys the collision mesh is by simply changing a number and can adjust vertices to make it fit the rock better. Though I'm sure Leadwerks is faster and if I'm honest, probably just as good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Josh locked and unlocked this topic

Files attached.  Instructions to reproduce:

Copy map to Maps folder and copy stone folder into Models folder.  Open editor and open map.  You should see two balls with their collision mesh roughly fit properly.  Copy other stone.FBX into the stone folder (the one where the stone and its collision mesh are scaled up), overwriting it.  The collision meshes will instantly grow but the balls won't.  But if you look at it in the model viewer, the ball and collision mesh are still the same relative size (both should be scaled up together).

It's a little late here so let me know I'm not describing this clearly.

resize_bug.zip

It looks like maybe in the original conversion the units were being ignored and now they are corrected. Check out the scale of the "rock" subobject:

Image2.thumb.jpg.5cdb784574c10340f78f05ce712d2d55.jpgImage1.thumb.jpg.52f67746e0734342761f16a923f99f27.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I am not sure either but I think it is probably acting correctly. When you reload the model the scale you have set in the scene for each limb is retained. Please let me know if you think this there is a bug here, but it looks to me like it is doing what it should do, and the vertex positions are just changing during export.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Josh locked this topic