New gfx card help

Rick

This is my motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4237#ov

This is the new gfx card I got: https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-edition

I have a 500watt power supply. When I plug in my new card and turn on my PC right away I get 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps and it never boots. Even the bios does not come up. The mobo has the latest BIOs on it (F2 in 2012). Everything in the specs says my board should be able to handle this card.

Does anyone have any ideas?

@Ma-Shell Update link. As far as I can see it only has 1 6-pin power supply. The same as my current card and that works fine. My power supply has that coming from it so I'm not using the converter cable from 4 to 6 that some have.

@AggrorJorn. If I plug my old card back in it works fine. I wouldn't think my PC RAM would affect the gfx card would it?

If you mean the gfx card RAM it's: 6GB GDDR5

but I wouldn't think that matters as it's on the card not the MB.

I have inserted Nvidia cards before and heard beeping because I had not connected all the power cables. The sequence of beeps is a code, and it likely corresponds to something your GPU is telling you. Google it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Are you sure the new gfx isn't faulty.

My reasoning is this.

- Your system works fine with another gfx card.

- 1 long 3 short beeps means an error with the gfx card

- your power supply is 100 Watts more than needed.

- Your power supply / cables work with your old card

Can you try the card in another PC?

This forum discusses the same error.

Well, even the pros don't know what's going on. Has anyone switched motherboards but kept their hd? I know Windows sort of freaks out with that with activations.

There really isn't a good way of doing it. You could try sysprep but your results may vary. If I were in your shoes I would buy a new HDD along with the motherboard. Install to the new HDD, keep the old one intact to copy your data back. Eliminates to risk of forgetting to back something up.

Or you could try returning the video card and getting a different make and/or model that may play nice with your PC :)

Yeah, I told them I wasn't married to that gfx card and if they had a gfx card guru who could recommend something similar but better than my current and works in my system that would be great too. Just kind of annoying I'd have to do trial and error with cards in my system when this one should work. A lot of open boxes on their side potentially.

I did think about getting a new hdd as well. Wouldn't I need a new copy of windows then too to put on there? All the damn hdd are huge these days. Mine is older and only 75 gig which for an internal is perfect as I put most everything on my external these days. My internal is full now because I just never went back and uninstalled stuff from it to my external over the years.

I for sure see why ppl just throw their PCs away no get new ones but my CPU and memory is fine and don't want to waste that as those aren't cheap. This is a huge sell for cloud based data though. Would be nice if all apps came with the option to save stuff to the cloud and just have the app installed. Then I wouldn't give a ****.

This sucks. All because I want to play BF1 without my PC freezing every few seconds.

What version of Windows do you have? I've reinstalled windows 7 from the disk after a motherboard change using slmgr.vbs without much issue. Sometimes required activation by the automated phone service. Not so sure about Windows 8 or 10. Especially if it's through digital entitlement. Never had luck copying an installation.

Win 10. If they can't think of anything I think I'll take it back as is and just go through my internal drive and save to my external any data and inventory any apps on it and then wipe my internal on my own and then try the card from a fresh install with the same mobo. I feel like the drivers or something on my system is messing it up. Before it would beep and not even show the screen to get to the bios. Now it doesn't give me the beeping and shows the screen that allows you to get to the bios but you can't actually get to the bios. Pushing any button results in nothing happening. It just sits there but that's improvement from the black screen and beeping I was getting.

I have switched hard drives from PC to PC and Windows did not complain.

I have even accidentally put a PC into sleep mode, removed the hard drive, put it back in, and resumed my session without a snare.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

it won't fit in the 2nd slot which is towards the bottom. It also say x4 on the mobo by that slot even though the mobo box say 2 x16 :/

We played with that bios setting and nothing. It's amazing how naked I feel without my PC in my house :). Going to just let it go for the night.

It's days like this where I think about getting a console a say screw PC gaming but then I remember controllers suck. :)

Last night they said they tried all sorts of gfx cards in it. All 900 series GeForce worked but no 1000 series worked. Very strange. For now it's back to normal and until I figure out what's on my internal hdd and get everything off so I can get a new mobo it's stuttering while I play BF1 :)