Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts
Win 10. If they can't think of anything I think I'll take it back as is and just go through my internal drive and save to my external any data and inventory any apps on it and then wipe my internal on my own and then try the card from a fresh install with the same mobo. I feel like the drivers or something on my system is messing it up. Before it would beep and not even show the screen to get to the bios. Now it doesn't give me the beeping and shows the screen that allows you to get to the bios but you can't actually get to the bios. Pushing any button results in nothing happening. It just sits there but that's improvement from the black screen and beeping I was getting.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

thehankinator

thehankinator
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Is your BIOS configured to show POST? It might show some information. Have you tried putting it in that second PCIE slot? There is also a setting in the BIOS that sets the source of the primary video adapter, have you verified is set to PCIE? Can't remember what is called on Intel boards

Josh Klint

Josh Klint
  • Staff
  • 10,910 posts
I have switched hard drives from PC to PC and Windows did not complain.

I have even accidentally put a PC into sleep mode, removed the hard drive, put it back in, and resumed my session without a snare.

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts
it won't fit in the 2nd slot which is towards the bottom. It also say x4 on the mobo by that slot even though the mobo box say 2 x16 :/

We played with that bios setting and nothing. It's amazing how naked I feel without my PC in my house :). Going to just let it go for the night.

It's days like this where I think about getting a console a say screw PC gaming but then I remember controllers suck. :)

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts
Last night they said they tried all sorts of gfx cards in it. All 900 series GeForce worked but no 1000 series worked. Very strange. For now it's back to normal and until I figure out what's on my internal hdd and get everything off so I can get a new mobo it's stuttering while I play BF1 :)

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts
Bought a 980 and that didn't work either. Gave the same result of sitting at mobo splash screen and not getting passed it.

carlb

carlb
  • Members
  • 180 posts
sound like power supply is not good
that what I can remember if you get beeps

the other problem is you board been a business board not a gaming board

gamecreator

gamecreator
  • Members
  • 1,826 posts
He said the people he took it to could get 900 series to work.  I assume they used the same power supply.

thehankinator

thehankinator
  • Members
  • 363 posts
I would hope that the techs at Microcenter were bright enough to try another power supply...

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts
They did and said it didn't matter. They didn't seem to want to touch the idea of a new mobo. Were trying to get me to just buy a new PC which I don't want to do. I have it s local shop now to get another person looking at it.

shadmar

shadmar
  • Members
  • 1,833 posts
what is a mobo?
Asus G750JX - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 770M 4GB - Leadwerks2 and Leadwerks3
Community Wiki : http://leadwerks.wikidot.com/

carlb

carlb
  • Members
  • 180 posts
motherboard

GreekGameStudio

GreekGameStudio
  • Members
  • 25 posts
Just buy a new PS "power suply" and also check the compability of your MB with GFX !
Best luck!

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts
My motherboard was LGA 1155, which I guess is fairly old. So I went to buy a new one. Of course this has a lot of side effects. I had DDR3 RAM and the new boards don't support that. They need DDR4. So had to get new RAM. Then the new intel boards are LGA 1151 socket type (the naming is so messed up with this). This means I had to get a new CPU. My card needed more power so I had to buy a new power supply :). So I have new guts and everything working now.

diedir

diedir
  • Members
  • 188 posts
calling this "programmed obsolescence" welcome to the new consumer world...
I7 - 16Go - W10 - GTX1070

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 6,981 posts
It really is that way :(

Also, I guess I originally had a 650 not a 950 (as I found my old box for the 650) so yeah, this 980 is killing it. Running Battlefield 1 on Ultra gfx with no problems. Amazing!