AggrorJorn

AggrorJorn
  • Members
  • 3,669 posts
Does anybody have a laptop with an intel 520 by any chance? I want to know how Leadwerks runs on it.

Although I mostly use main my computer for development, I like to have a simple laptop for on the way and still be able to use Leadwerks.

Thanks in advance.

xtom

xtom
  • Members
  • 249 posts
I do but I haven't tried Leadwerks on it. I'll give it a test later and let you know. My laptop also has switchable graphics with a radeon R5 M335 so not sure if that will work better than the intel graphics but I'll test it on both options.

Josh Klint

Josh Klint
  • Staff
  • 11,141 posts
Intel 520 = HD 6000 graphics.  I was using a mini PC with HD 5000 graphics for a while as my main dev machine, and it worked great.

You will encounter situations where the GPU can't handle it, but for most stuff it works fine.

AggrorJorn

AggrorJorn
  • Members
  • 3,669 posts

View Postxtom, on 11 January 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

I do but I haven't tried Leadwerks on it. I'll give it a test later and let you know. My laptop also has switchable graphics with a radeon R5 M335 so not sure if that will work better than the intel graphics but I'll test it on both options.
Thanks, I am eagerly awaiting your results.

View PostJosh Klint, on 11 January 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Intel 520 = HD 6000 graphics.  I was using a mini PC with HD 5000 graphics for a while as my main dev machine, and it worked great.
Thanks. I don't have to run everything on ultra, as long I can work decently I am happy.

xtom

xtom
  • Members
  • 249 posts
Ok just gave it a quick spin on the laptop using the default First person AI map as a test with 520 graphics. The editor itself works very well and is very responsive, no problems at all so should be fine for scripting and map building. Running the game it runs at about 12 to 22fps depending on the part of the level. This is the stable branch so new beta might run faster. Actually just tested beta too and it runs a bit faster about 15 to 24fps, I am seeing some flickering shadows on particular parts of the map on both branches but other than that no problems.

intel520.jpg

Edit also tested on the built in Radeon R5 M335 - game runs much better at 20 to 40fps depending on map location and without the shadow glitches with the 520. For reference I had to set the amd swicthable graphics separately for the editor application and then also for the game application too.

AggrorJorn

AggrorJorn
  • Members
  • 3,669 posts
That's a very detailed report! thanks xtom.

reepblue

reepblue
  • Members
  • 478 posts
If you plan to use Linux, be careful. Sometimes you'll get a situation where OpenGL 4 drivers are available for Windows, but not Linux for integrated chips.

It happened to me, and I was really bummed. Posted Image

AggrorJorn

AggrorJorn
  • Members
  • 3,669 posts
I deffinitely not taking that risk. Actually I am also still very wary about AMD cards, The last AMD card I had was such a disaster for me.

AggrorJorn

AggrorJorn
  • Members
  • 3,669 posts
Went for the safe option: lenovo ideapad 510-15ISK

shadmar

shadmar
  • Members
  • 1,844 posts
Probably too late but you get some with dedicated geforce cards for $500
https://www.wiknix.com/best-gaming-laptops-under-500/

AggrorJorn

AggrorJorn
  • Members
  • 3,669 posts
Thanks for the post shadmar. I am going to order this evening, so it can't hurt to have another look.