Monthly Script Challenge

Thirsty Panther

Welcome to the Second Monthly Script Challenge.

Each Month I will set a challenge for gifted Leadwerkers to solve. I will provide a map as a starting point. Once you have perfected your script you re-post your map to this thread. At the end of the month I will go through all the entries and judge the winner. I will then place the winning map on the Workshop so others can learn from them.

Rules.

Entries must be your own work.

Entries must be submitted before the end of the month ( February).

Any assets you use must be your own or Royalty free.

The map that you submit can be used by others for commercial use.

Have fun and educate.

February Challenge

Leadwerks is very good at getting the budding game developer to create their very own FPS. One of the problems with this is that the players footsteps sound like they are walking on concrete regardless of the surface they are actually on. The player runs across grass, sounds like concrete. Runs thru water, sounds like concrete. We need a way for the player footsteps sounds to be altered depending on the surface that they are on. So your challenge for this month is to create a script that plays different sound effects for different surfaces.

The map I have provided is very simple. A player with the FPSplayer script attached on a single platform with 5 different surfaces. The first is concrete, then foliage/leaves, metal, water and grass. Your script should play a different sound for each surface.

The February Map.

The map has various textures from Wild Textures. These are free to use in your own projects even if you don't submit an entry.

I had some sound effects but I can't remember whether they are royalty free or not. So I wont post them until I can confirm. In the meantime you will need to find your own sound effects.

How you implement your script is up to you. You can alter the FPS player script or add a separate script it is entirely up to you.Remember the winning script should not only solve the problem but should also have comprehensive comments within the script so that new users can learn from your script. The last challenge had 3 fantastic entries and the only way I could split them was on the documentation. So keep that in mind when submitting.

Prize

I still don't have a prize to give away. So your reward will be admiration of your fellow Leadwerkers and being the second winner of the Monthly Script Challenge. You will join Garficwaffle on the Leadwerks Hall of Fame (OK I just made that up).

If any person or company would like to donate or sponsor the Challenge you can contact me on this forum. The last Script challenge had almost 1000 views so sponsoring this challenge would expose your product to many potential customers :)

If you have any ideas or thoughts on the Challenge please feel free to comment. The first challenge was very well received and I have had lots of positive comments.

Looking forward to your submissions.

• Upvote 5

I did this pretty fast so I'm sure others will have a better way to do it, maybe using tables

or something. I didn't want to have to rename sounds or material files, just drop the

material on and it detects what the sound is automatically.

Gravel, snow, dirt, and wood added as well.

Using FPSPlayer.lua, in UpDateFootSteps() it calls function GetMaterialSound() which

returns the randomized footstep sound for that material to play.

Hacked up sounds are from www.freesfx.co.uk and www.freesound.org.

Extra textures are from my public domain archives. Original images are not included,

only the .tex files.

Create a FPS project and extract the archive in the project's main directory.

File is 20MB

Now if we could just get the material of the terrain...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bco2wr1dlou4gr/footsteps.zip?dl=0

• Upvote 3

---

Scott

Using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Core I7-2700K @ 4312mhz/24G RAM/Nvidia GTX 1060

I have also used material names to determine sound type, for example, material named "my dark_wood 76" will play "wood" sounds. But my script uses footsteps manager like old animation manager. This way you can use it both for player and NPCs and any other objects.

Supports several sounds per material type, 3D sound, can be played from many characters at the same time, only need 3 lines of code to add to your script (import, create, update).

Main script: https://gitlab.com/Genebris/MSC-Footsteps/blob/master/Scripts/Footsteps.lua

Download project (120 MB): https://gitlab.com/Genebris/MSC-Footsteps/repository/archive.zip?ref=master

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

You can get the material of a specific layer of the terrain, then from what I am seeing, check the current layers alpha. I would assume the lower the alpha the more intense the texture. it can get complicated ...

Terrain.h lua commands:

virtual Texture* GetVegetationMap();//lua
       virtual int CountVegetationLayers();//lua
       virtual VegetationLayer* GetVegetationLayer(const int index);//lua
       virtual void SetTextureStageDistance(float distance, float multiplier);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerAlpha(const int slot, const int x, const int y, const bool alpha);//lua
       virtual bool GetLayerAlpha(const int slot, const int x, const int y);//lua
       virtual int GetLayerAtPoint(const int x, const int y);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerAlpha(const int slot, const float alpha);//lua
       virtual void SetElevation(const int x, const int y, const float elevation, const bool update);//lua
       virtual float GetElevation(const float x, const float z);//lua
       virtual Vec3 GetNormal(const float x, const float z);//lua
       virtual float GetSlope(const float x, const float z);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerAlpha(const int slot, const int x, const int y, const float a0, const float a1, const float a2, const float a3);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerAlpha(const int slot, const int x, const int y, const float alpha);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerAlpha(const int slot, const float a0, const float a1, const float a2, const float a3);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerTexture(const int slot, Texture* texture, const int index=0);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerScale(const int slot, const float x, const float y);//lua
       virtual Vec2 GetLayerScale(const int slot);//lua
       virtual Texture* GetLayerTexture(const int slot=0, const int index=0);//lua
       virtual bool LoadHeightmap(const std::string& path, const float scale=1.0, const int bpp=0);//lua
       virtual void SetHeight(const int x, const int y, const float height, const bool update=false);//lua
       virtual float GetHeight(const int x, const int y);//lua
       virtual void UpdateNormals();//lua
       virtual bool Pick(const Vec3& p0, const Vec3& p1, PickInfo& pick, const float radius, const bool closest, const bool recursive, const int collisiontype);
       virtual void SetLayerSlopeConstraints(const int slot, const float minslope, const float maxslope, const float transition);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerHeightConstraints(const int slot, const float minheight, const float maxheight, const float transition);//lua
       virtual Vec3 GetLayerSlopeConstraints(const int slot);//lua
       virtual Vec3 GetLayerHeightConstraints(const int slot);//lua
       virtual VegetationLayer* AddVegetationLayer();//lua
       virtual void SetLayerDisplacement(const int slot, const float displacement);//lua
       virtual float GetLayerDisplacement(const int slot);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerTextureLookupMode(const int slot, const int mode);//lua
       virtual int GetLayerTextureLookupMode(const int slot);//lua
       virtual void SetLayerTextureMappingMode(const int slot, const int mode);//lua
       virtual int GetLayerTextureMappingMode(const int slot);//lua
       static Terrain* Create(const int size, const bool editable=false);//lua

• Upvote 1

I was going to suggest to use GetLayerAtPoint() and then GetLayerTexture() - don't know if it would work, but that's what i would attempt.

EDIT -- unfortunately, it appears that GetLayerAtPoint() does not work - which is a shame since GetLayerTexture() does.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel