Guest_Red Ocktober_*

Guest_Red Ocktober_*
  • Guests
i've been buried with a side project that i thought would've take a day or two... but it's winding up taking longer... a lot longer...  and so this lil threaded ramble...

while taking a break from the longer, it suddenly dawned upon me that if a single simple object (i'm making a plane as an addon) takes so much effort and time, then maybe one reason why a real Leadwerks game might be  so long in coming might be...  that so many of us try to put so much into our games...  

i mean... take a look at Penumbra Overture... the first level (in the demo) is just a cabin of a ship... a simple room with a desk drawer and a closet...

there were a few small things that you could pick up, but the main parts were just a simple piece of furniture or two...

the same rings through for most of the other levels... not too much stuff... just what you need to do a few simple things...

hey... just thinking out loud...  

i feel better now...

:P

--Mike

Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 7,048 posts
I agree. I think scope creep falls into the same reason. I know I've had a simple game element up and running, but wasn't happy the simplicity, so I try to add more and more to make it "cooler", but it soon becomes a big side track and interest gets lost.

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts

View PostRed Ocktober, on 16 July 2010 - 01:47 AM, said:

maybe one reason why a real Leadwerks game might be  so long in coming might be...  that so many of us try to put so much into our games
I think there is a lot of truth in this.  As indie developers we probably owe it to ourselves to keep it a simple as possible. Simple can still be effective if well thought out.

Naughty Alien

Naughty Alien
  • Members
  • 757 posts
..another thing is, that almost nobody here, want to produce simple game actually, and instead, want to make a 'Crysis 10' since LE renderer is nice..and thats why 99% of stuff just fall in to trash bin of fail experiments..

shadmar

shadmar
  • Members
  • 1,850 posts
Did anyone do a pacman (with nice lighting/shadows) yet ? :P

macklebee

macklebee
  • Members
  • 3,532 posts
it was attempted but nothing ever came of it

cassius

cassius
  • Members
  • 2,611 posts
I am in the doldrums with my game, run out of ideas for puzzles. Its an adventure game. I keep rearranging the level and textures while waiting for insperation. Maybe I'll take a look at some e existing games and try and pick something up.

Naughty Alien

Naughty Alien
  • Members
  • 757 posts
..hey Macklebee, im not sure have you received my PM. Tomorrow Grid lesson is done, so i wanted to know, is it english your native language, because i need someone to take a look over  lesson text and correct my spelling errors, send me back so i can pack everuthing with images and code in to lesson..

macklebee

macklebee
  • Members
  • 3,532 posts
no i didnt see the PM... yep english is my native language... i know its hard to tell sometimes! I will take a look at it now!

EDIT---I didn't get a PM from you, NA... fyi...

Sooshi

Sooshi
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Canardian

Canardian
  • Members
  • 67 posts

View Postshadmar, on 16 July 2010 - 07:06 AM, said:

Did anyone do a pacman (with nice lighting/shadows) yet ? :P
I made a Tetris variant with LE, and it was the first published commercial game. It took me about 2 days to make :P

macklebee

macklebee
  • Members
  • 3,532 posts
and it showed :P

Flexman

Flexman
  • Members
  • 562 posts
Ouch

Canardian

Canardian
  • Members
  • 67 posts
Well it shows that time plays the most important role when making a finished game.
I could try to make a list of how much time is needed for certain game features.

macklebee

macklebee
  • Members
  • 3,532 posts

View PostLumooja, on 16 July 2010 - 09:35 AM, said:

I could try to make a list of how much time is needed for certain game features.
i would think that would be very subjective depending on the type of game, the game features, the person's ability, the person's time able to devote to the game, etc...

Canardian

Canardian
  • Members
  • 67 posts
Here's a first attempt:
gamemaketimes.png

macklebee

macklebee
  • Members
  • 3,532 posts
:D you forgot to add in 0.5 hour to make chart. :)

wh1sp3r

wh1sp3r
  • Members
  • 431 posts
That's why i made simple BALL game ;-) hehe because i wanted to complete it.

Canardian

Canardian
  • Members
  • 67 posts
How long did BallWars take on each of those steps? It would be a good reference to add to the chart.

wh1sp3r

wh1sp3r
  • Members
  • 431 posts
i don't remember :D really. Plus i rewrote it few times :)