One Reason Why There Are Few Leadwerks Games, Maybe

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i've been buried with a side project that i thought would've take a day or two... but it's winding up taking longer... a lot longer... and so this lil threaded ramble...

while taking a break from the longer, it suddenly dawned upon me that if a single simple object (i'm making a plane as an addon) takes so much effort and time, then maybe one reason why a real Leadwerks game might be so long in coming might be... that so many of us try to put so much into our games...

i mean... take a look at Penumbra Overture... the first level (in the demo) is just a cabin of a ship... a simple room with a desk drawer and a closet...

there were a few small things that you could pick up, but the main parts were just a simple piece of furniture or two...

the same rings through for most of the other levels... not too much stuff... just what you need to do a few simple things...

hey... just thinking out loud...

i feel better now...

:P

--Mike

I agree. I think scope creep falls into the same reason. I know I've had a simple game element up and running, but wasn't happy the simplicity, so I try to add more and more to make it "cooler", but it soon becomes a big side track and interest gets lost.

maybe one reason why a real Leadwerks game might be so long in coming might be... that so many of us try to put so much into our games

I think there is a lot of truth in this. As indie developers we probably owe it to ourselves to keep it a simple as possible. Simple can still be effective if well thought out.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I am in the doldrums with my game, run out of ideas for puzzles. Its an adventure game. I keep rearranging the level and textures while waiting for insperation. Maybe I'll take a look at some e existing games and try and pick something up.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

..hey Macklebee, im not sure have you received my PM. Tomorrow Grid lesson is done, so i wanted to know, is it english your native language, because i need someone to take a look over lesson text and correct my spelling errors, send me back so i can pack everuthing with images and code in to lesson..

Did anyone do a pacman (with nice lighting/shadows) yet ? :P

I made a Tetris variant with LE, and it was the first published commercial game. It took me about 2 days to make :P

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Well it shows that time plays the most important role when making a finished game.

I could try to make a list of how much time is needed for certain game features.

I could try to make a list of how much time is needed for certain game features.

i would think that would be very subjective depending on the type of game, the game features, the person's ability, the person's time able to devote to the game, etc...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

i don't remember :D really. Plus i rewrote it few times :)

You posted it on old forums on 2009-07-01, and edited it last 2009-08-29. Considering that you probably worked around 1 hour each day on it after initial release, and 2 hours each day for one month before it, I would estimate that it took around 1 month to write BallWars using 4-hour days (=indie days).