EKI One

macklebee

macklebee
  • Developer
  • 2,671 posts
very cool pixel... looks very promising.
Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590
LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

DaDonik

DaDonik
  • Developer
  • 344 posts
That looks just too good to be true...and it would save us all soo much time!
(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

Guest_Red Ocktober_*

Guest_Red Ocktober_*
  • Guests

View PostDaDonik, on 29 July 2011 - 08:38 PM, said:

That looks just too good to be true...and it would save us all soo much time!

+1

--Mike

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts
Ok, a quick demo of some simple nav mesh pathfinding using my Leadwerks Stranded Test Level in the EKI One Configurator / Sandbox.  I simply created an agent (NPC) with a random movement behavior just to prove it all works.  Best watched in 720 full screen mode:

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro,  Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

paramecij

paramecij
  • Developer
  • 280 posts
I think i'll take a stab at this now!  Thank you for all the information, and i'm sure i'll bug you for more info sometime in the future :)

Rekindled Phoenix

Rekindled Phoenix
  • Developer
  • 431 posts
Great demonstration video !

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts
Thanks, I wanted to show as soon as possible that this is indeed a viable solution.  

@paramecij ... you know my interface will be released free of charge with EKI One once its completed!  If you don't want to wait and just want to get stuck in straight away then fair enough, good luck and give me a shout if you need any help  :)
Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro,  Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork
  • Developer
  • 36 posts
Well done on this Pixel. It really is great work you are completing here, both for yourself and community wide.

Congrats,
Matt.

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts
Cheers Matt.  

As of tonight I will be starting work on the second phase whilst I await further feedback from Artificial Technology on the first.  This is the creation of a suitable framework in Leadwerks to allow integration of their engine so we can use the AI and path finding directly in our games.

DaDonik

DaDonik
  • Developer
  • 344 posts
That sounds very nice! Please finish it  :)
(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

franck22000

franck22000
  • Developer
  • 225 posts
If you are able to finish everything, we are going to see much more gameplay  videos inside the LE community :) Great Work !

You guys are going to be the death of me.  Josh Klint

YouGroove

YouGroove
  • Developer
  • 3,891 posts
Just great !
For such affordable price, it could be a really good investment.
And yes it could bring really new amazing gameplay to LeadWerk games.

I really hope all this will end up in some big thing :rolleyes:
Tips : Make a small gameplay prototype  , use modular assets as much as possible , post a small demo and ask feedback.

Zbrush 4R6 - 3DCoat - Sculptris - Blender - Gimp - Substance Designer - Silo 2 - Krita

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts
A quick 'heads up' for any interested parties:

At the time I started this thread the cost of the EKI One Indie package was 99 Euros excl VAT.  That was an introductionary sale price and it has subsequently risen now to 150 Euros excl VAT.  Whilst I accept this is a not insignificant investment for an Indie developer you can counter this against what I would consider 2 years development to produce anything approaching this capability.  When looked at in this light it is indeed very cheap!  I myself have spent over a year and a half developing my own path finding and AI system and although it works ... it is a long way off matching this product!

The integration SDK they provide for integrating their engine into other game engines is a C++ SDK and as such the work I am doing will produce an interface between Leadwerks and the EKI One engine using C++.  This initially will obviously restrict the ability to use this product to the current Leadwerks users who have chosen to use C++ as their development language.  This is out of my control but may help sway anyone who is currently undecided on which language to adopt.   So to be absolutely clear, to use this integration once completed ... YOU NEED TO BE USING C++.

There is an existing interface capability for C# clients in their higher priced product (1500 Euros excl VAT)  which runs as a server but no support currently in the Indie product.

YouGroove

YouGroove
  • Developer
  • 3,891 posts
I'm not sure to target C++ to use with the engine, and now 150£ is a lot more , even if cheap.
This system is really designed for complete navigation on a level, not all game type requires that feature.

But for now it is not my priority, the game style i target will use limited navigation, and limited fight area !
So i just need some simple navigation points i'll place , for hidding  in cover points, travel between them to avoid player fire etc ... with some random decisions !
So i really prefer to wait and see if some people will use it and would do something new or not seen before considering anything ?
Tips : Make a small gameplay prototype  , use modular assets as much as possible , post a small demo and ask feedback.

Zbrush 4R6 - 3DCoat - Sculptris - Blender - Gimp - Substance Designer - Silo 2 - Krita

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts
That's fair enough, not everyone will need this although I think anyone who did buy it would benefit from it.  Certainly those who do need it are well aware of the fact and, like myself, are probably desperate for it now!  I just wanted to make it clear so no one was under any illusions regarding it.

It's the fully integrated path finding, steering, behaviour and perception system that is the big plus of this system and the quality of the toolset that's built around it.

YouGroove

YouGroove
  • Developer
  • 3,891 posts
I agree for somewhat like Metal Gear game series or Splinter Cell perhaps ?
But you'll have to code the NPC behaviour like , abandon player serach after some time of seeing nothing etc .. .etc ...

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts

View PostYouGroove, on 04 August 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

I agree for somewhat like Metal Gear game series or Splinter Cell perhaps ?
But you'll have to code the NPC behaviour like , abandon player serach after some time of seeing nothing etc .. .etc ...
Well all AI and behavior has to be coded no matter what.  This just gives you a toolset specifically designed to do just that with all the basic underlying mechanisms already in place and proven to work well together (which believe me is no mean feat and is worth its weight in gold).  You still need to code your agent (NPC) behaviors.  The success of this is really what makes or breaks a game; it's not something to be taken lightly.  Not many people can code AI successfully other than the most rudimentary behavior.  In my experience anything that gets you a few rungs up the ladder is very worthwhile.

But I have no interest in selling this to people who genuinely don't need it.  As I say, those who do on the whole are already well aware of that and will be the likely up takers of this.  Those who don't either genuinely do not require it or have yet to realize they do.

Pixel Perfect

Pixel Perfect
  • Members
  • 2,028 posts
I'm working on adding export support for the vegetation layers tonight.  I shall alter the interface to allow this as a switchable option as some people may not wish to have collision on vegetation layers.  If flagged to export vegetation layers then I'll make it so you can define which layers should be exported (any not included will not be) so giving the ability to say export a layer of trees but ignore a layer of grass where no collision would be required.

I will also add a check on a property which people can add to objects to define what type of object they are and how they should be used by EKI One.

For example:  

• static - indicates it’s static geometry. Will be the default if the property is not set.
  • ignore  - will be ignored by the exporter.  Use to prevent objects being exported and used in the nav mesh generation
  • object  -  indicates it’s a game object of some sort (weapon, pickable item etc)
  • actor  - indicates it’s a dynamic object (player, NPC etc)

The rest of the weekend will be spent analysing the engine integration requirements and building a good picture of exactly what needs to be done before formulating an initial design document.  To make this as flexible as possible from the outset is going to require a bit of thought.

I'm not going to pretend that my solution will cover every possibility that people might require but you will get the source code so you can in theory modify any aspect of it to suit your own particular needs.  However, if anyone wants to add any input at this stage now might be a good time :P

franck22000

franck22000
  • Developer
  • 225 posts
Nothing to add here, it just sound perfect :P

You guys are going to be the death of me.  Josh Klint

paramecij

paramecij
  • Developer
  • 280 posts
I've played around with the trial version and i'm impressed. Once you create a few agents and draw out some FSMs and attach them simple scripts you start to get the hang of it and then when you see it all working in the sandbox you start to appreciate the potential this could give you (and the hairpulling late night coding and debuging it would save you).. All this is great, and even more great is Pixels work into releasing integration tools for free.. But sadly they don't give much info on integrating it to your engine or the c++ API in the trial (did i miss it somewhere?)  .. What sold me to leadwerks was a look at the API wiki (best engine api i've seen, doesn't get into the way of my coding..), and then I checked the trial version to see if all was working on my machine and this was it :P ...    

So i guess i'll wait a bit more for Pixels reports (if he'll continue to be kind enough) about integration, the c++ API  and performance with LE, since i missed the promo price anyway.. :)