Combine objects

YouGroove

The most you can assemble several objects as one , the better the game will be faster.

Some engines propose this "combining" model feature.

For example a static columns models instead of beeing alone, combined as one model, the engine will have one entity.

Could LE3 have that in the future ?

(I assume prefab is just instancing, not combining as the your prefab will always keep a sub objects hierarchy)

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

+1

But: From what i heard before that might lead to performance issues at some scale. For e.g. if you have 10 objects, each behind the other, and you're only able to see the one in front of you it seems to be so as if only the first (for you visible) model is being loaded / rendered. If you combine those 10 to a single entity the engine would have to load all 10 at once to only view the first one.

Pls. correct me if i'm wrong.

Nevertheless i would prefer that option myself too, since it makes life in some cases easier. so i'm still supporting this request :)

If you combine those 10 to a single entity the engine would have to load all 10 at once to only view the first one.

It depends on what you combine.

10 buildings : BAD as you can see nearest and not others or use different LOD on distant ones.

10 windows of same building : GOOD , as with LOD you will show 10 windows or hide them , individual window object would just not good for performance.

10 Stone rocks, or Stone floor plates in same place : GREAT , as they are small objects , in same place, with LOD hide them as one object onec you are far from their place.

To resume :

Good for objects in the same place if we can say

You have just to import one FBX individual model in LE3 , place it where you want, and group models that are nearest in same place.

Only combine what make sense smile.png

-------------

Even LE3 should be able to combine BSP stuff, like BSP of the same room, and an old request :

"Merge double vertex geometry of BSP objects".

Rotating / moving a vertex has a cost and BSP has lot of double or triple vertexes.

Stop toying and make games

• 2 months later...