Much simpler install script

Josh

I made a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 to find the simplest way possible to get Leadwerks running.

The first thing I tried was to put all the dependencies in a subfolder and launch the application with this script:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:."
exec "./Leadwerks" "$@"

This gave me the no such file error.

Next, I tried just running this script. This is actually all you need!:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install "ia32-libs-multiarch"
sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk:i386

All those symbollic links and stuff in the script are only needed to compile the editor. If you're just running it, you don't need any of that stuff! wub.png So that should make your life easier.

I would like to find out how to get rid of the multiarch requirement altogether, though. It doesn't seem like having all the libraries is enough because of that funny file not found error. Or maybe that is referring to a missing .so file, but it didn't specify anything beyond that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The missing program is actually the 32-bit linker, which itself is a 32-bit program. So here's the install script now:

# Install 32-bit linker:
sudo apt-get install libc6-i386

And then you can launch Leadwerks with a bash script:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:./libs"
exec "./Leadwerks" "$@"

And you have to extract these to a "libs" folder:

At that point it will run without any 32-bit libraries installed, but you will get errors about missing GTK themes and missing pango fonts. So I'm going to hand this off to the experts now.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Few things;

appmenu-gtk:i386 has been replaced by the architecture neutral unity-gtk2-module in later Ubuntu versions ( and why not make an installer that still relevant in 18 days ;) )

you would want to flip around LD_LIBRARY_PATH so you local versions comes first, that way if you need a specific version it will actually get to be loaded - otherwise it will only be loaded if not found on the system, and you safer to delete the local version rather than the system one.

Otherwise good work - I'll admit I wasn't best pleased by that massive pile of symlinks in my systemfolders happy.png

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k