LE3.1 problem : .tex file 10 times bigger than texture

YouGroove

That's incredible i have a PNG about 2Mo and the .tex file generated is 21.4 Mo ??

Even DSS system is meaned to reduce dragstically textures size , not to make them bigger .....

Even disabling Mimpas it is still 19 Mo sad.png , what is happening in LE3 for textures ??

I really understand now why game loading was so long and why i found so strange to find all 512*512 textures having all 4Mo size wich is very heavy.

Optimized engine means optimized in terms of textures sizes also.

I put texture in example if someone want to test.

post-3271-0-84897000-1397918818_thumb.png

Stop toying and make games

Even when i disable mimaps, 2Mo becomes 19 Mo.

It's not acceptable, all other 3D engines make textures compressed.to decrease size a lot.

Wolfire blog about DXTC compression :

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/dxtc-texture-compression/

catcompare1.jpg

alphasoft.jpg

http://txzone.net/2011/09/texture-compression-why-does-it-matter/

• Upvote 1

Ok, I going to jump in here and say what I think is happening...

If Leadwerks is using 8,8,8,8 ARGB DDS for image conversion then all images are converted to 32bits with the alpha channel plus there is no compression, no lost in image quality. What you see is what you get...

That means if you have an 8bit image with no alpha it will be converted to a 32bit image with the alpha channel plus no compression.

8,8,8,8 ARGB scheme from my understanding is the 4 channel uncompressed DDS file format.

I would imagine that the source code that is also sold would give you the ability to choose your own DDS compression scheme but of course I am guessing here.

I downloaded the 1024 x1024 image file you posted.

In Leadwerks after the conversion the Leadwerks "tex" with mipmaps was 5.6mb.

Photoshop with the Nvidia DDS plug-in using 8,8,8,8 ARGB for the image conversion to the DDS file it was 5.6mb with mipmaps.

I can not tell you why your are getting such large file sizes with the same image.

That means if you have an 8bit image with no alpha it will be converted to a 32bit image with the alpha channel plus no compression.

Withiut compression you won't go very far in terms of texture usage as your video memory will be quickly full.

We shoud have the choice of compression and ratio :

- super compression : faster time loading , less memory needed for the 3D engine to store the texture when running

- no compression : long loading times, lot more video memory needs.

I can not tell you why your are getting such large file sizes with the same image.

You are right , itested with this image and it generated 5Mo.

But taking the original ,i attached a copy here this is 2Mo and LE3 generates .tex files of 21Mo

Something wrong with transformation tool to .tex files.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the consequences of mobile support, since mobile hardware has no consistent texture compression support. Since that is no longer a concern we can safely enable DXTC texture compression at some point soon.

• Upvote 5

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

This is one of the consequences of mobile support, since mobile hardware has no consistent texture compression support. Since that is no longer a concern we can safely enable DXTC texture compression at some point soon.

Ah, good to know the reason why no other types of DDS file compression schemes were supported plus knowing that changes are on the way is good news.

Since the Tex conversion routine is a non adjustable global setting for compression I do not know if it would be possible to set it per model but it would be great if the Tex conversion routine would just keep the current compression or non-compression we set in a specific DDS file. Just stating my preference as I do not know what is possible with Leadwerks.