Space Station Scene

SlipperyBrick

So I am looking for an opinion. Being new to everything modelling I am making a scene that I would like to still render in Leadwerks.

I am starting a portfolio to showcase my work but I would like to hear opinions on it (good or bad, please be harsh biggrin.png). I have been building my scene in Wings 3D, reason I've used this over my other modelling tools is to understand box modelling more and to work with limitations (Wings 3D seems pretty limited in its functions).

Just to set myself a challenge and for practice.

I feel I need more practice at modelling and this is a nice exercise for my brain tongue.png

Here is a shot of what I have so far, I am going to be adding more things into the scene as I go along. This has all been done with no idea in mind, no concept to work from I've just been winging it (no pun intended).

Big thanks to Digman for showing me this software and for teaching me it (your my guru tongue.png)

Also I would like to thank Michael_J, I got my inspiration from your Rouge System project smile.png

post-9532-0-15623200-1397961560_thumb.png

• Upvote 4

You are coming along great there... Wings3D is very good at creating larger modular game assets. The uncluttered workspace and the limitations really work to your advantaged here.

The only thing I see is what appears to a small triangle section that is a non-planar polygon. The triangle section is by the vertical boxes. What I mean by triangle is that the area in question is modelled in a triangular fashion but crossing two axis. It appears to be a quad polygon and not a real triangle polygon,

• Upvote 1

That's looking very nice so far. I'd offer two pieces of advice:

1) Things have a tendency to "feel" more real if they have some reason or purpose (rather than just being there because "they look cool". "Cool" art doesn't always translate into a believable environment.

2) Doing detailed work normally goes more smoothly and efficiently if you have some concept art to work from. What I typically do is sketch out an idea; model a VERY rough, low-res version of it; take it into photoshop and paint a detailed concept piece. Then I use that and further develop the rough model I built. The rough model will quickly let you know if your 2D sketch actually works in 3D (so you don't waste a lot of time finding out otherwise).

Mainly though--practice, practice, practice. You'll learn something new with every piece you build....

And, thanks :)

• Upvote 2

--"There is no spoon"

Awesome thanks Michael. Yeah I agree if nothing has value in the model there is no point in it being there. I am hoping to do something cool for the door though but right now I've moved onto UV'ing. Due to so much stuff being in the model I think I may have to work with at least 3 or 4 UV sets.

Here is an update on the walls smile.png

I'm gonna use 4k maps and try to keep the UV layout as clean as possible, just for practice.

post-9532-0-93341500-1398001014_thumb.jpg