More edits I made over the course of today.
Last little bits of work to do include adding any last final touches, and then cleaning up the layer stack to ensure that all height/metallic/roughness layers are interacting correctly. Then I can start procedurally generating each different texture based on this single material. I hope to start that process sometime this week so I can put a scene together.
Completely reworked much of the master material and it has really transformed into something much better than before. Added new detail to lights and completely revamped the original metal, rust, and paint materials to have better surface properties. Things are much less busier and do not have odd height details. Overall I am very happy with these results, and I do not envision much more work being needed at this point other than some cleanup and checking each material channel to ensure that the
Reactor wall I worked on today. This texture has lots of small details like pipes, vents and hoses which I used as a basis for expanding the master material set I am using.
Thought I would post this, because it looked very cool with all of the different surfaces applied to it. Every day I am impressed by substance painter and its capabilities.
Quick update on what is happening so far. Lately I have not had as much time to work in substance painter because I have been busy, however in my spare time I have been working on refining the base material which I will use to apply to the numerous textures I have created as part of the scifi collection. Little tweaks here and there mainly to make the results a little more pleasing and less noisy.
Above I have tweaked a majority of the masks for rust as well as surface detail variatio
Work is pretty much complete on nearly all of the highpoly models of the wall textures... Just a few more to create and bake out in Xnormal and then I will be able to start making the color ID maps. I expect to have the ID maps done sometime by the beginning of the week after next week.
Total number of textures stands at 201, after taking into account some of the walls having minor detail variants.
Below shows a few snapshots of the my most recent work:
Took a break from 3d modeling work for the past few days, decided to play around with lighting and other effects in 3ds max to get a general sense of what types of environment/moods can be created.
I made a material with some emissive maps and applied it to my simple cube scene, thought I would post it since it turned out pretty cool (3ds max rendering):
More to come later on...
As of just now, I have finished creating all of the individual color ID maps for the floor textures, seen below in my progress tracker.
Next steps which I plan on carrying out (bolded are the ones I intend to focus on in the next month or so):
Finish modeling wall textures (30 ish to go).
Finish modeling a few detail textures.
Create material ID maps for all wall/detail textures (60+ to go).
Paint all diffuse maps using a common substance painter project file(s)
Testing 3D displacement mapping on planar objects using my upcoming scifi PBR materials. The results looked really good, however this can only be used for a still render (note the polygon count on the top right of the below screenshot). All textures created in substance painter and exported at 2K resolution.
More information here on displacement mapping is available on Autodesk's 3DS Max Knowledge Base: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp
Work is continuing on my upcoming scifi mega pack that is inching closer and closer to being released - today I decided to compile a few PBR materials that I created as some more tests in substance painter. The below images show a simple 3ds max scene that I blocked out in a few minutes as well as some renders from substance painter.
Materials available in uncompressed PNG format and are 2k textures. They are also perfectly seamless and will tile in all directions.