I am going to share my tips on how to be a great programmer, or anything else for that matter.
The first thing you need to do every day is eat properly. I recommend the following:
- 2 pieces of toast (whole wheat bread, the heavier the better).
- One banana or orange.
- Finally, eat pure egg whites until you can't eat anything more. They have no cholesterol, no fat, they are pure protein, and they will give you tons of energy.
- Get a deli sandwich. Chicken, turkey, and occasionally roast beef are good. Avoid pastrami or anything with a ton of cheese or grease.
- Salmon fillet. This has the Omega-3 fats you need to be smart.
- Rice for carbs.
- Salad or grilled vegetables.
Additionally, you should take a multivitamin to make sure you get any nutrients you missed during the day.
The second thing you need to do is go running every day. Two miles is good enough to get a decent workout, but short enough that it can be repeated daily. Start gradually, if needed. It will make a big difference in how you feel every day.
It is perfectly possible to skip these things for a short time, but as soon as you start eating junk food like pizza and soda, you will find you won't have the energy to run. Then you will lose the energy to prepare proper meals, and start falling back on more prepackaged convenience food, which will make you more tired, and you will cycle downwards into lethargy.
Are you depressed or tired? Unless you are following my regiment above, you really have no excuse. Try this for three weeks and then see how you feel. Together, we can make the Leadwerks community healthier and more productive.