What do you think of my rock golem?

nate066

I like the textures it has a very nice handpainted look, but the model looks very carved / man made.

It may just be down to taste but I pefer it more natural looking ala;

http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/68618

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bw_TbXgZnFE/UgBRhYA8acI/AAAAAAAADk4/j40KDS67-GA/s640/rock2.jpg

or even better with a bunch of mismatched stones that do not fit together too well and are clearly held together with magic

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Seems a cartoone golem seeing mouse and eyes shapes. Also seems not a golem fighter more some village habitant golem.

Some examples of golem fighters shapes :

Golem_01_Low-Poly.jpg

golem_74348.jpg

Bring on the polygons, make it hight polys smile.png it's next gen with LE3 and PC , not some android game.

Stop toying and make games

I have a few suggestions. With character design you wanna make sure you get a good silhouette for form. Mean and scary usually means broad and big. Try making his shoulders big look at the back and neck areas (getting technical here but try messing with his traps and lattes etc). Remember I said broad and big, for the facial region try a strong jaw kinda chiselled/boxy looking (like a really square sharp jaw line).

Muscle would be good on this guy, get some badass bi's and tri's not over the top though you don't want him looking deformed. Cos your going for a rock man look might be a good idea to use the stone guy from Fantastic 4 as a reference. If you want you can send me the OBJ file and I can give you a hand bro. I don't mind beasting up this guy for you. I can do some sort of tutorial as I go along :D

Quick question, is this a sculpt? Looks like your using ZBrush there.

you should make real stone flat planes, your golme is very muddy, perhaps it's some special one composed of mix of stones and mud ?

A quick 20 min mockup i made (Zspheres, unified skin, sculpt + Dynamesh, Flatten, pinch ,slash3 )

More human than golem laugh.png

post-3271-0-93137600-1403825453_thumb.jpg

nice character and i haven't started polishing the golem with the hard surface brushes yet i just block out the polish with the Hpolish brush which isn't ideal for rock.I still need to go over with the trim dynamic and planar brush. Thanks for all the helpful tips. Yougrove do you have the Orbs_Cracks brush its really great for stylized stone cracks.

If you goto to the vimeo site the download link is in the comments section

Yougrove do you have the Orbs_Cracks brush its really great for stylized stone cracks.

Indeed usefull http://orbart.free.fr/Orb_Cracks.ZBP

For the golem, another way is adding rocks as subtools, duplicate modify rocks subtools to work fast wink.png , than merge subtools on final characters if needed

Why you don't work with symmetry on ? faster to quickly make the character, than you can disable symmetry when done and add subtool rocks or modify some parts to make it asymmetric.

HArd surfaces made easy :

Slice tools

Clip tools

I prefer slice tool than delete hidden geometry as Clip brushes make some times undesired artifacts.

3D Coat is not as advanced in some parts and lot more slow than Zbrush on high polycount , but it allows as much freedom in some easy way to use.