Official Leadwerks Exporter for Blender

Josh

Can anyone explain how to get a texture out with cycles renderer?

I can get the png files generating if I use Blenders old Render but when I try to use cycles the image file doesn't appear but the mat file does (with no image file reference). I don't know if it is because I don't know how to do it, or if you have to use the old render materials? Materials look fine with cycles in the viewport (as far as I can tell).

Can anyone explain using export with cycles materials?

Thanks,

Michael

Cycles renders light completely different from most other render engines. Especially real time engines. Because of this, the cycles materials can only be used in cycles. However, you can now bake textures in the cycles renderer.

Cycles renders light completely different from most other render engines. Especially real time engines. Because of this, the cycles materials can only be used in cycles. However, you can now bake textures in the cycles renderer.

So do you mean that any materials defined as cycles materials should be baked and then re-created as old-style Blender texture

OR should the exporter export a cycles material if it is correctly baked?

My simple example was just a UV map image (png). It exported the material but it lacked a path to the image and I don't know if this is because it was not defined right as a cycles material or because cycles materials CAN'T be exported even if they are just a PNG texture (which seems to me similar to a baked texture?).

I was in Blender 2.72 BTW to try to make sure 2.73 RC was not an issue.

I'm by no means an expert Blender user so I find it easy to get confused in the pipeline necessary here.

If the plug-in needs old-style Blender render then I think that point is important enough to be in the docs.

Thanks for responding. Hopefully someone can clarify a little more on if I HAVE to always bring everything back to a old-style Blender material to work.

Cheers,

Michael

A material and a image based texture are two different things. If you uv unwrapped your model while in cycles render mode and used a image texture format that also works in Leadwerks, it should work.

If you have a model that does not have a image based texture and you instead created materials using cycles nodes. It will not work. Unless you uv unwrap your model and bake a texture of your materials to a image based texture format that Leadwerks supports. Like .png.

I have not been able to use leadwerks or the exporter for a while. Just due to being busy. Something may be wrong with the exporter. Try exporting to fbx and bring it into leadwerks that way.

HI. I have a problem with the exporter, it doesn't export parameters of child objects properly.

My object looks looks like this in Blender:

blender.png

And this is how it looks like in Leadwerks:

leadwerks.png

As you can see the blue thing which is a child object, is not right. It position and angle is wrong. Tried the fbx exporter of Blender but I can't import it. I get "failed to load object" error message.

Using Blender 2.71

Thanks.

Seems like the Leadwerks Exporter for Blender was not tested properly

A material and a image based texture are two different things. If you uv unwrapped your model while in cycles render mode and used a image texture format that also works in Leadwerks, it should work.

I tried again and it seemed to go better this time. I seem to be able to export cycles based UV mapped image materials and the PNGs appear now. No idea why I had the problem before yet. Probably some material setting that I'm not spotting.

Thanks,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

HI. I have a problem with the exporter, it doesn't export parameters of child objects properly.

My object looks looks like this in Blender:

blender.png

And this is how it looks like in Leadwerks:

leadwerks.png

As you can see the blue thing which is a child object, is not right. It position and angle is wrong. Tried the fbx exporter of Blender but I can't import it. I get "failed to load object" error message.

Using Blender 2.71

Thanks.

It is isuue about it in bugtracker https://github.com/alrusdi/leadwerks-blender-exporter/issues/1

Current workaround is to apply model transformations on each hierarchy level

You can post sample file and i show you fix. I will work on.

So do you mean that any materials defined as cycles materials should be baked and then re-created as old-style Blender texture

OR should the exporter export a cycles material if it is correctly baked?

My simple example was just a UV map image (png). It exported the material but it lacked a path to the image and I don't know if this is because it was not defined right as a cycles material or because cycles materials CAN'T be exported even if they are just a PNG texture (which seems to me similar to a baked texture?).

I was in Blender 2.72 BTW to try to make sure 2.73 RC was not an issue.

I'm by no means an expert Blender user so I find it easy to get confused in the pipeline necessary here.

If the plug-in needs old-style Blender render then I think that point is important enough to be in the docs.

Thanks for responding. Hopefully someone can clarify a little more on if I HAVE to always bring everything back to a old-style Blender material to work.

Cheers,

Michael

If you bake your cycles materials/node setup then there is no difference to the blender internal

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I have been using the latest blender (2.73) and this plugin. It works ok for me so far. Exported a bottle with materials I made entirely in blender without issue. I did not however have a child object. Later when I add "liquid" in my bottle and parent it to bottle, I'll see if it messes up.

Upon further thinking, Does this need to be parented? Can I not simply join the water and the bottle together?

Could you join your frame and blue sheet in the same manner to avoid this issue? Just some troubleshooting idea.

Ubuntu 14.04 (64-Bit) - Intel Core i7-2700K - Geforce GTX 670 - 8GB RAM

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand what is difference between exporting to fbx format with plain blender (no plugin) and using "Leadwerks Exporter for Blender" plugin. Sorry if answer is obvious (just started to learn Leadwerks).

In case xeranas, or anyone else who was wonder has this same question.... This exported creates a Leadwerks MDL, as opposed to exporting to FBX and Leadwerks having to convert that.

@SomeKnight, did Josh state that himself, if so please provide a link to the relevant article. If he didn't say that please explain how you know what he wants.

If you are venting an opinion in your first post, please amend your behaviour and respect the forums provided by Josh, that allows you to ask the community for assistance, and promote your own work.

I believe the exporter is written in python, so if you are up to it, you can try improving the exporter yourself. Maybe in your next post we will be able to appreciate the hard work you have made in the making of a positive contribution.

This is a really good community, and we welcome new comers, many of us being new ourselves only a short time ago.

Any plans to correct this in the exporter? That issue was logged about 5 months ago now.

I have some weird problems with Leadwerks itself on both Linux and Windows and it's very demotivated me to work on that problem. But with Josh's help i hope we will fix it very quickly.

• Upvote 2

Evening all.

I seem to come across a bug. I can export as FBX, but it fails to do so with LW exporter.

I've attached my .blend, as well as a screenshot of the error.

I've looked for the usual suspects, inverted normals, overlapping UV, duplicate vertex, apply scale, rotation extra objects, etc. I don' think it's my file, but I might be wrong.

Anyways, thanks for looking into it, this is a brilliant application and I enjoy very much using it.

.blend here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_osSxp3TcVSHNiRHE0Q1hwZzQ/view?usp=sharing

Using Windows 8.1 64 bit, produced error with blender, 2.73a, and 2.72b.

post-14193-0-48794900-1424064717_thumb.jpg

Seems to be fixed for now. But it's no reason to export skined model without animation because Leadwerks is not exposes public API to manipulate bones at runtime

Thanks! It must have missed that in the docs somewhere. In case anybody has the same error, it was caused by exporting without any animation. All I did was add a 2 frame animation, and it worked.

I'm happy to announce new version of Leadwerks Blender Exporter with important bugfixes. Please let me know if you still have any problems.

Hi alrusdi,

I've installed it regularly, but does not appear listed in the add-on list (Blender 32 bit, v 2.73a)

Addenda: Resolved! The automatic install from .zip creates a useless parent directory:

...\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.73\scripts\addons\leadwerks-blender-exporter-master\io_scene_leadwerks\...

To view in add-on list must be removed from parent dir. The correct path is:

...\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.73\scripts\addons\io_scene_leadwerks\...

Hi alrusdi,

I've installed it regularly, but does not appear listed in the add-on list (Blender 32 bit, v 2.73a)

Downloadable zip archive with plugin is not meant to be installed with automaic install from zip. Please read installation instructions: https://github.com/alrusdi/leadwerks-blender-exporter#installation

When i started this work i hoped that exporter will be inside main Leadwerks distribution (correct installation and docs) but Josh is not interesting it. So we have what we have. If i will have free time i will create a separate site with documentation and sample content, but cant say when exactly it happens.

• Upvote 1

Downloadable zip archive with plugin is not meant to be installed with automaic install from zip. Please read installation instructions: https://github.com/alrusdi/leadwerks-blender-exporter#installation

When i started this work i hoped that exporter will be inside main Leadwerks distribution (correct installation and docs) but Josh is not interesting it. So we have what we have. If i will have free time i will create a separate site with documentation and sample content, but cant say when exactly it happens.

Thanks for the clarification. In my opinion, your add-on should be integrated by default in Blender (like the other exporters) and not only in Leadwerks tools

• Josh unpinned this topic