Bug with included tutorial 07-AI and Events.map

scoco23

Hello!

Anytime I try tutorial 07 and fire the weapon, the game crashes. I've tried this on two PCs and they both exhibit the same behavior (one with integrated graphics, one with a new Nvidia card - details can be provided if required). I've also tried creating a new map and using the same player script and autopistol.pfb with the same results.

Steps to recreate the bug:

1. Install Fresh copy of Leadwerks editor from Steam

2. Open 07-AI and Events.map

3. Run map

4. Fire

5. Wait about two seconds

When ran in "Debug" mode, the C++ Runtime Library opens a crash window:

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program:

[path]\MyGame.debug.exe

File c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 12.0\vc\include\list

Line:230

Expression: list iterator not incrementable

Is anyone able to successfully run this tutorial?

I don't get this error. Am I correct in assuming, you are using the steam-build? Also is the crash appearing, when the sound is just finished playing? If all of this is the case, this could be correlating with the fix to this:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/10076-releasing-sounds/

(this fix isn't yet in the standalone, which I have, but it should be in the steam standard and beta)

I don't get this error. Am I correct in assuming, you are using the steam-build? Also is the crash appearing, when the sound is just finished playing? If all of this is the case, this could be correlating with the fix to this:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/10076-releasing-sounds/

(this fix isn't yet in the standalone, which I have, but it should be in the steam standard and beta)

I am using the steam version; I don't know about the OP. As far as when exactly it occurs is hard to say - in debug mode in that scene I am running single digits so everything is extremely choppy. But I can confirm that it does occur when you fire the weapon.

Another person new to LE tonight experienced the same bug as well right after being confounded by the steam list view launch bug, so needless to say he was a little over-whelmed by the crashes right from the start of his LE usage.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Yes, I am running the Steam version. I run in to the problem regardless of how I run the map. The debug mode is the only way I get any sort of feedback on the crash. It's possible that the crash is when the sound completes, it's hard to say. However, if I do not fire the weapon and continue through the map, the game does not lock up at any point - including when the sound is played for the AI characters, the lift, switch, or any other sounds. As I've now only logged a few hours in the tool I'm not familiar with it enough to have figured out how to edit the weapon object to remove references to sound. When I return home from the office I'll attempt to figure out how to do that to see if disabling sound stops the crash.

I'm getting the same issue but it just started today. Was fine yesterday. It doesn't say it every time I fire but sometimes during fire. I hear sound and see flask. Sometimes it is even after the sound and flash finishes. Happens in both debug and run.

Points me to the same place: line 230 in list...

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

I've commented out the sound effects from the FPSweapon.lua script, and the crash persists. It does not appear that the crash is sound related. I'll debug further and see if I can determine the cause. I'm also getting an "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" error as of this afternoon whenever I try to open a different map, which makes using the tool nearly impossible now. However, I'll deal with that separately and start a separate thread if necessary. I only mention it in case anyone thinks it's relevant to this issue.

Update:

It seems to be the emitters. If I remove the code for the blood, smoke, and bullet effect emitters, the game does not crash when firing. If any of these three emitters run, the game crashes.

Was just in a quick level I threw together with the basic CSG and FPS player prefab and weapon prefab and still having the issue. I'm curious of this is a persistent and pervasive problem or isolated? Who here is running 64 bit Windows 8 as I am?

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

same error here.. I run on win 7 64bit

after shoot game freezes and get access violation errore..

I think the problem is in the autopistol prefab since I attached it to the fps character into another level and when I shoot level freezes as above..

steam editon

Oh good - so we can expect it to be fixed tomorrow as in the 17th?

Because I think I saw he originally posted this on the 15th so I was expecting a fix today but still crashes on me - that's the only reason I ask.

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

I've worked around by commenting out this section of code in FPSWeapon.lua [edited to include commenting out the blood emitter.]:

--[[
--Blood emitter
e = self.emitter[2]:Instance()
e = tolua.cast(e,"Emitter")
e:Show()
e:SetLoopMode(false,true)
e:SetPosition(pickinfo.position+pickinfo.normal*0.1)
e:SetVelocity(0,0,0)
--]]
else
--[[
--Add a temporary particle emitter for bullet effects

local e

e = self.emitter[0]:Instance()
e:SetPosition(pickinfo.position)
local v=3
e:SetVelocity(pickinfo.normal.x*v,pickinfo.normal.y*v,pickinfo.normal.z*v,0)

--Smoke emitter
e = self.emitter[1]:Instance()
local v=0.2
e:SetVelocity(pickinfo.normal.x*v,pickinfo.normal.y*v,pickinfo.normal.z*v,0)

--Play bullet impact noise
e:EmitSound(self.sound.ricochet[math.random(#self.sound.ricochet)])

Still crashing after the update. I tried commenting the section mentioned above and works fine as long as I dont shoot a character.

Need a def fix asap please.

Asus sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 9590 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 4 HDD's Western Digital Caviar Black set in Raid 0, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite, Asus Radeon R9 270 X 4GB, Corsair CM750M,

That worked by commenting out lines 187 thru 220 as such

--[[
 --Blood emitter
 e = self.emitter[2]:Instance()
 e:SetVelocity(0,0,0)

else

--Add a temporary particle emitter for bullet effects
 --local e

--e = self.emitter[0]:Instance()
 --e = tolua.cast(e,"Emitter")
 --e:Show()
 --e:SetLoopMode(false,true)
 --e:SetPosition(pickinfo.position)
 --local v=3
 --e:SetVelocity(pickinfo.normal.x*v,pickinfo.normal.y*v,pickinfo.normal.z*v,0)

--Smoke emitter
 --e = self.emitter[1]:Instance()
 --e = tolua.cast(e,"Emitter")
 --e:Show()
 --e:SetLoopMode(false,true)
 --e:SetPosition(pickinfo.position+pickinfo.normal*0.1)
 --local v=0.2
 --e:SetVelocity(pickinfo.normal.x*v,pickinfo.normal.y*v,pickinfo.normal.z*v,0)

--Play bullet impact noise
 --e:EmitSound(self.sound.ricochet[math.random(#self.sound.ricochet)])
 ]]--

How ever, the characters all have the USE icon when they get close to me and sometimes go flying backwards. . . . .

• Upvote 1

Asus sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 9590 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 4 HDD's Western Digital Caviar Black set in Raid 0, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite, Asus Radeon R9 270 X 4GB, Corsair CM750M,

Still crashing after the update. I tried commenting the section mentioned above and works fine as long as I dont shoot a character.

Need a def fix asap please.

There was an update? Strange - I didn't receive one today..

EDIT--yeah just got confirmation that an update hasn't been released yet.

macklebee's channel

I see. So there was no update. That would explain it. Welp, here's hoping tomorrow comes through for us. I'm not too stressed about it because I still have much to keep me busy, but I can see how people could be set back by it. To be expected, I guess. I just wish I could help, but alas, I'm no coder it seems.

Running on:

Microsoft 8 64-bit

10 gigs RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

Not much we can do really other than to report the problem. Something is wrong in the engine itself - Josh will track it down eventually. Josh mentioned he found a problem with emitters freeing themselves, but it appears there are other issues that are associated with freeing sounds in the engine that would also affect the inherent fpsplayer script. http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/10471-openal-al-invalid-operation/

macklebee's channel