[Linux, Steam] GTK controls renders wrong

Guppy

At first I thougth it was the color scheme that had gone haywire but as it turns out something is broken in the steam edition of LW in regards to rendering GTK control themes.

Using Linux Mint 17's default "Minty-x"

09uqusU.png

as you can see all controls are invisible and selecting anything makes it invisible

Switching to Adwaita makes everything look like windows 95 (not how it's supposed to look, but alteast you can use it )

1okVhsP.png

Switching to highcontrast actually renderes correctly

lpTC8Qs.png

(looks but ugly tho)

This is NOT an issue in the standalone version;

NxVECdO.png

Click on the images for larger views

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

actually the standalone/standard/non-steam doesn't get it completly correct as it doesn't draw arrows on the scroll bars but that I can live with if need be, the steam version in its current state is unusable ( checkboxes are invisible for instance )

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

That seems to be a special occurrence with Mint's default GTK theme and the Steam version. For me on stock Ubuntu it looks as intended using any of the default themes.

Just tested it - while it does work slightly better you will notice that radiance has no effect on the way leadworks renders control (particularly visible with toolbars).

ps: is there no way to edit a theme in ubuntu? I just wanted to change the control theme not the entire DE theme...

System:

True, it doesn't change them but they keep working properly.

I'm not sure how much entirely the editor is supposed to pick up on the theme. If I'm not mistaken it is using GTK but it is not a real GTK app but the BlitzMax based editor with GTK plugged into it.

It shouldn't break with specific themes though, that much is clear.

And yeah, Ubuntu doesn't offer very granular controls over themes OOTB.

EDIT: Radiance just doesn't seem to change that much anyway, if you want to see it working 100% use the high contrast theme.

EDIT: Radiance just doesn't seem to change that much anyway, if you want to see it working 100% use the high contrast theme.

Look at the scrollbars ( the one clever thing cannonical has done in recent years )

System:

Unfortunately, I can't accept bug reports for any other distro than Ubuntu, as it is the official supported Linux-based OS.

So where do you draw the line?

Must it be a freshly installed Ubuntu 14.04? Or am I allowed to install other software? What about other desktops? or other themes? Mint-x for instance is also available for Unity

I've said it before and I'll say it again discriminating against Ubuntu derivatives makes as much sense as rejecting bugs from windows users who chose Classic over Aero ( or vice versa )

System:

Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit is the only supported Linux-based OS at this time. Unless someone can confirm the problem occurs on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, it won't be investigated.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

So where do you draw the line?

Must it be a freshly installed Ubuntu 14.04? Or am I allowed to install other software? What about other desktops? or other themes? Mint-x for instance is also available for Unity

I've said it before and I'll say it again discriminating against Ubuntu derivatives makes as much sense as rejecting bugs from windows users who chose Classic over Aero ( or vice versa )

you can solve this problem by changing steam command for leadwerks and use

GTK2_RC_FILES=/path/to/your/theme/gtkrc application-command

or simply

GTK2_RC_FILES=/path/to/your/theme/gtkrc %command%

this way you can at least use preferred theme in the rest of the system. still, demanding to test against everything is a bit large request. i can't even imagine this magnitude. it's more than reasonable for developer to pick his supported flavor and then let users find workarounds. then, if problem is caused by distro, it is fixed by community, if it is caused by software, it is fixed by software. sometimes, things can also work by pure accident and break as soon as that accident is not present anymore

i personally use fedora and actually hate ubuntu anything and as such find it really strange to see linux user asking for his 10% of linux only like you do ;) but, one thing that i did find is that i have way less problems on my unsupported distro than most ubuntu users on their so called supported with anything non-FOSS.

Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit is the only supported Linux-based OS at this time. Unless someone can confirm the problem occurs on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, it won't be investigated.

just my 2 cents. it would probably be much better if SteamOS was the target. simpler target, longer life span, less deviation from other Linux ecosystem, much better in following standards. it would also make it MUCH simpler target to adapt with other distros

SteamOS is not a Workstation operating system, so why would anyone target the editor at JUST that? heck, it even runs Steam in another X session that doesn't really do windowing.

It might be worthwhile adding it in the future because of Leadwerks being on Steam but now Ubuntu is the sane choice, though I agree it could be a heck of a lot more flexible in regards to running on anything that shares Ubuntu's base and repos.

SteamOS is not a Workstation operating system, so why would anyone target the editor at JUST that? heck, it even runs Steam in another X session that doesn't really do windowing.

It might be worthwhile adding it in the future because of Leadwerks being on Steam but now Ubuntu is the sane choice, though I agree it could be a heck of a lot more flexible in regards to running on anything that shares Ubuntu's base and repos.

maybe because it features standard libraries from debian wheezy. smaller the target, better the adaptation. if you target ubuntu which deviates from others in every aspect... it's hard to adapt.

ubuntu is to other linux world kind of like android is. you can make android out of linux distro, but no matter how hard you try, you can't make linux distro out of android

also: if it runs on steamos and not on ubuntu, there is 100% chance ubuntu is the culprit

update: "heck of a lot more flexible in regards to running on anything that shares Ubuntu's base and repos" you could replace this with linux. there is 0 needs for singular base and repos if you know the stable target

Hmm, let me see. Ubuntu has: Linux Kernel, GNU tools and X. Just like Debian and just about every other current Linux distro out there. Debian uses sysvinit and Ubuntu uses upstart while systemd is the future for both and already the standard for everything else. Ubuntu will probably be there a bit faster even than Debian.

In essence, Debian is mostly just older packages for their stable releases and developers like the features the get by having newer a newer libc and other things.

What if I told you that if - at least in the case of games on Steam - something runs on SteamOS it is already running on Ubuntu more than it is on Debian because of the Steam-runtime which is build with Ubuntu 12.04 libs with some of them updated here and there?

I really, really dislike people coming in with this "let me tell you what's what" attitude and proclaiming a falsehood in practically every second sentence while doing so, potentially irritating and alienating Linux newbies and interested outsiders.

Don't get me wrong, i'd like to see Leadwerks officially supported on SteamOS in the future. But prioritizing it over the single largest Linux distro (according to Steam's own stats) that people are actually using today is simply a pants-on-head crazy idea.

Hmm, let me see. Ubuntu has: Linux Kernel, GNU tools and X. Just like Debian and just about every other current Linux distro out there. Debian uses sysvinit and Ubuntu uses upstart while systemd is the future for both and already the standard for everything else. Ubuntu will probably be there a bit faster even than Debian.

In essence, Debian is mostly just older packages for their stable releases and developers like the features the get by having newer a newer libc and other things.

What if I told you that if - at least in the case of games on Steam - something runs on SteamOS it is already running on Ubuntu more than it is on Debian because of the Steam-runtime which is build with Ubuntu 12.04 libs with some of them updated here and there?

I really, really dislike people coming in with this "let me tell you what's what" attitude and proclaiming a falsehood in practically every second sentence while doing so, potentially irritating and alienating Linux newbies and interested outsiders.

Don't get me wrong, i'd like to see Leadwerks officially supported on SteamOS in the future. But prioritizing it over the single largest Linux distro (according to Steam's own stats) that people are actually using today is simply a pants-on-head crazy idea.

the very fact that i named steamos as target is steam-runtime which will be very easy to replicate in future sandboxed applications. if it runs trough steam on steamos. even now, without sandoboxing any distro could simply modify run.sh from steam and have perfect compatibility. goal achieved in 2 min

what you're mistaking here is the fact you're proclaiming i'm proposing default workstation target, which i am not. i'm proposing test target for bug reporting. if it works on setup like this there won't be "ubuntu x.y morning version supported only", but rather "linux supported". sometimes i just hate ubuntu users and their inflexibility to understand

let's see. they deviate in desktop notifications, they deviate in how menu is handled, in future they'll move to Mir, rest to wayland, systemd support is not comming until 16. ubuntu runs its own unique DE which doesn't really work like others (well, so isn't gnome in that aspect, so this is a bit moot), shall i go on?

SteamOS will be added as a target for games, but I don't have any plans to support it as a desktop OS for development. Still, I would not be surprised if both the editor and engine ran on it right now with no problems.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Don't want to interrupt anyone but SteamOS is going to be a supported distribution, as Josh wrote in

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-1192-refocusing-on-the-pc/

"Given the OUYA's failure, it should obviously be scrapped and replaced with SteamOS support." (Talking about the OUYA-stretchgoal of the kickstarter campaign)

EDIT:

I was a bit slow... ;)

It's very likely that Leadwerks games run on SteamOS right now with no problem at all. Haven't tried it, but there's nothing the engine uses that Steam won't already have installed. I just got sound working on my gigabyte Steam machine, so I am eager to try it out.

[...]demanding to test against everything is a bit large request. i can't even imagine this magnitude. [...]

That's a myth - dont take my word for it ask icculus.

Steam, Chrome, Opera, Cisco Anyconnect, RAR, Aftershot PRO, Corel Draw, Maya

You know what those have in common? They are all commerical closed source programs that works on any linux ( aslong as it has the appropriate packages installed ) - why? because they use standard components instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. That way compatibility it outsourced to whom ever maintains the package for that standard component.

And that's just the closed source programs, even a lot of opensource programs provides binary packages that just works ( usually a .deb a .rpm and a .tgz - only difference being HOW it's packaged the provided binaries are the exact same )

his 10% of linux only like you do

*facedesk*

Linux Mint (apart from LMDE) IS ubuntu - they take the Ubuntu disk installs it and ADDS a new default desktop environment (cinnamon or mate ), then repacks it and releases it as 'Linux Mint'. ( this is why mint releases lags behind the ubuntu ones )

So "my" 10% linux is no different than installing Ubuntu and then adding the Cinnamon packages and making that default for all users, it's not like I'm asking for gentoo or SuSE support..

This was precisely why I asked the question of where the line is being drawn, because if one package means it's no longer supported then something is wrong

System:

This was precisely why I asked the question of where the line is being drawn, because if one package means it's no longer supported then something is wrong.

I've made it very clear from the beginning, we support Ubuntu. I personally prefer the Linux Mint UI (whichever of the three they use is shown in your shot) but it's more important to stick to a standard. Otherwise we spend the rest of our lives messing around with low-level basics, and never reach higher-level functionality I want to deliver on.

I could have spent yesterday installing Linux Mint and fiddling around with packages, or I could have spent it fixing the map change crash on Linux. I chose the latter, and will continue that approach.

I hope in the future Ubuntu adopts a more conventional desktop UI and fixes their color scheme, but it's out of my control.

So just to be clear bug rapports are only valid if they can be reproduced on a Ubuntu LTS running an Unmodified/Standard theme Unity DE?

System:

Yep, if it's a UI issue.

If it was something that was probably not dependent on the OS / GUI then I would look at it.

I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu's new interface, but it's the standard.

Hi,

I'm running on Ubuntu 14.04 X86_64 and using primusrun to run Leadwerks with my nVidia GT750M.

It runs but I get some really strange artefacts on screen. I can usually clean up the screen by invoking a redraw of the desktop but then the GTK controls get scrambled again within a few mouse clicks. I spend more time cleaning redrawing the screen than I do being productive and learning Leadwerks. sad.png

Here's some examples:

Screenshot-from-2014-08-23-064143.png

One more

Screenshot-from-2014-08-23-064202.png

Just posting to offer more cases. I know you guys are already working on the interface.

Cheers,

G